lowest possible pitch

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I am pretty certain it is about 15 degrees.
I remember doing a lean-to extension several years ago and because of a staircase window on the side elevation it was only possible to achieve 12 degrees. After a discussion with the Building Inspector we got the okay but only if we built a 3 layer hot bitumened flat roof at 12 degrees and fitted the tiled pitch roof with every tile double nailed just above that so the extension has two perfectly good roofs one on top of the other. The reason for this condition is because at such a slow pitch the rain takes much longer to leave the roof and also because the flatter the tile the easier it is for wind to get under and lift them off.

Agreed, I not heard of anything lower than 15 degree. When fitting a low pitch you will need more tiles as the overlap is greater. Not sure if you can still get them, mine have a normal overlap as it has a built-in water bar channel groove underneath to prevent water entering.

Sponsored Links
The lowest pitched roof tile is a Lafarge Redland Regent in a smooth through colour, which is suitable down to a pitch of 12.5 degrees.
There is over ways of acheving a lower pitch but it generally is only when appearances matter. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back