Luceco LXB18W95L40 Inrush Current Specs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

A mate who has limited mobility has asked me to fit six of the above LED battens in his garage for him to replace some seriously old and falling apart twin tube 5' fluorescent fittings that are well past their best They're rated at 67W each but there's nothing mentioned in the spec sheet about what the inrush current of the driver is. I don't know if I'm being over-cautious here but I don't want to fit them for him and then for him to tell me that they keep tripping the breaker.

The CU the lighting cct runs off is a Fusebox F2010XM the breaker is a 10A Type A B Curve RCBO (RTAMB10) & all the cabling is 1mm² T&E. It's currently run in a loop-in fashion (daisy chained ?) from the CU to the light switch (a 10AX unbranded unit) with the N and CPC in choc-blocs within the backbox.

Is there a "generic" calculation that can be made to figure out if the current setup is OK to swap the fittings or will the amount of fittings and drivers in the cct mean that the breaker may have to be changed & hence for him to get an electrician in ?

I said I'd go down this weekend to do them for him but I was going to ask for some advice first just in case there's any potential problems changing them over. I have done a fair bit of electrical work for myself but don't profess to be anything other than a (hopefully !) fairly competent DIY'er so if anything goes wrong, it's only me that has to put up with the fallout, it's a different matter entirely if I'm gonna do it for someone else.

TIA

Sponsored Links
So run amps 1.457 and a B type overload will take 3 to 5 times the thermal rating to trip the magnetic part of the trip, so there is no way the inrush will be anywhere near 30 amps. So the line - neutral impedance should be 4.37Ω or less, the line - earth does not really matter as long as under 300Ω as RCD protected. Above 300Ω considered unstable, but if a TN supply would expect under 4.37Ω same as neutral.

I have not noticed an inrush with LED lights, but without an oscilloscope one is unlikely to be able to measure it, and neither can most electricians. I have had fluorescent lamps trip a breaker, fitted 25 x 60 watt 110 volt on a 16 amp supply, and it tripped, had to swap first 20 to 127 volts. But it did not trip on in-rush, it tripped because the old fluorescent was very voltage dependent, and the supply was over voltage, so instead of just under 16 amp as my rough calculations showed the clamp on showed nearly 25 amps, but LED has not got the same problem, so you're fine.

Thanks @ericmark had just seen all these comments about inrush currents of 50 to 100X the running current tripping breakers so didn't want to fit them and then have to tell him to get a sparkle in. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back