Magnaclean valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a 28mm version which I plan to fit next week. I've a few questions:

1) I read a suggestion that their supplied valves are poor and can sheer off when closed/opened. Is this true?

2) If yes, are there any good alternative valves available? I couldn't find any full bore 28mm elbow valves on the web?

3) If there is indeed a valve design fault, have Magnaclean improved the new versions? I bought mine on Ebay, and although it is unused, I'm not sure how old it is.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not something I've ever heard of, and I'm sure they'll be on to it if there is a problem. You'll struggle to get direct replacements, you'd probably have to make them up out of bits, IE straight valves and elbows

We fitted one to a large system which we routinely clean once a month and the valves seem fine to me, very easy to operate.
Not a 28mm one though but sure they are all similar

The valves are a couple of years old at the most and will be fine for a good while.
If you bought it off ebay check the serial number as many are recalled due to the potential for leaks.

Sponsored Links
I think that they may have changed the valve type but certainly the earlier ones had a problem that the inside became rather stiff and the knob part would break off if you applied enough power to turn them.

Tony

Would anyone happen to know the serial number range recalled or had problematic valves. Mine is H10418x.

There were no "recalls" although in the early days I expect they would have replaced any broken valves for anyone who made a fuss.

I doubt that anyone outside the firm will know the numbers you are asking.

You should not bother yourself until you actually have any problem!

Tony

They have recently changed the valves, now black. They are supplied with spare sets of 'o' rings.

You have a 2 year warranty on the magnaclean, so don't worry.

There were no "recalls" although in the early days I expect they would have replaced any broken valves for anyone who made a fuss.

I doubt that anyone outside the firm will know the numbers you are asking.

You should not bother yourself until you actually have any problem!

Tony

No recalls?? At present BG is undertaking a replacement program on a few magnacleans that were manufactured with certain serial numbers....
however the valves are not the problem, it was a prblem with the body.

No valves are 100% and you will always get a leak sometime, I myself have found the magnaclean valves to be very good, and I have taken a good few apart in my time....

As Tony says tho......Dont worry and just fit it.

I had to fight with a very early magnaclean which did not compress the lid seal enough to make a water tight seal with normal tightness of the nut. Both valves had small butterfly knobs which had both broken off.

Luckily I got the job of replacing the boiler so I could dispense with the Magnaclean.

Tony

there is indeed a recall on certain serial numbers.

this is copied from the re-work kit......

"serial numbers starting "E" or serial numbers between 120000-140000 or 160000-204000 do not need changing.

all other filters must be changed."

im making my own with stuff i have lying around.

OK well I fitted it yesterday. I was amazed at how much ruddy crud it caught in the first few hours alone. Have X400'd also, so will check every couple of weeks for a month or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back