Making a plinth for a shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm contemplating replacing my bath with a shower, and I really like this one. However, there's a good chance I'm going to have to raise the tray a bit to accommodate the waste over the joists. Presumably a ply top over some battens (timber floor)

Anyway, my question is, what would you cover the sides of the plinth with? I was thinking a timber moulding like architrave so I could make it removable with a few screws to access the pipes, but maybe I'm overthinking it. I've seen tiled ones, I guess they just hope they never get a leak?
wes.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can buy a kit that includes legs to raise the shower and plinths in white plastic. Or build a timber frame and cover in thick plywood and make a plinth out of plastic skirting or whatever else suits you.

Easy fit kit is the one you can get, comes with legs and mouldings but that for a standard height usually. If it's bespoke then any plastic pannelling/moulding cut to size will do, just use screw snap caps - white or chrome and screw on for easy access later.

Easy fit kit is the one you can get, comes with legs and mouldings but that for a standard height usually..
Am I right in thinking some shower trays simply won't tolerate legs, i.e. they need cement/expanding foam bedding on a flat surface to prevent stress cracking?

EDIT: Oh it looks like these leg kits are meant to go under a platform, with the tray on top of that, so basically the legs take the place of battens?

Sponsored Links
You got it mate !! Some trays can sit on legs ,others have to sit on thick plywood base elevated on legs or solid timbers.

Last one I did, plywood base supported on 4” x 2”, HepVo trap with knuckle bend adapter.

Plastic moulded skirting board, carried all round the room. Purchased from Eurocell along with internal and external corners. Section around the tray held on by magnetic connectors and a thin bead of silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back