making windows smaller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved to a new property. The lounge has two very large windows. I need to have the double glazing replaced and would like to have the window openings made smaller (top to bottom), both to reduce the cost of glazing and save on heating bills. What are the steps in making the openings smaller, what things do I need to do e.g. closing the cavity etc.

Sponsored Links
I would personally keep the window sizes as they are, the best source of light is daylight and it's free. After living in houses where you need to put the light on to find the settee you realise how important this extra feelgood factor makes you feel. Pay the extra for decent (Pilkington K ?) double glazed units, you'll probably find it'll work out cheaper than paying someone to brick it up partially anyway

Agreed with Scoby_Beasley,

New laws come into force in April 2002 regarding all replacement windows are subject to building regulation.

You be better off replacing the glass instead with "Low-e glass".See this

Also you could put in a thermal lining behind the curtain to make it warmer.

Avoid Pilkington K if you can. It has a very unfortunate grey tint, which is almost unnoticeable from inside, but from the outside makes net curtains look like they've not been washed for 100 years.

There is a French alternative glass which is much better in this respect, and still meets all the required BS/EN standards. I can't recall the maker's name, but any window company that knows their business will know about it.

Sponsored Links
More details from website link,

Advantages
High visible light transmission
Ultra-low emissivities giving optimum winter U-values
Up to 70% less UV transmission compared with standard clear glazing
Optical clarity - minimal color haze

Disadvantages
Soft coat Low E must be used in a double glazed unit; the soft coating is sensitive to handling.
Most soft coat Low-E products require tempering the glass prior to the coating application.
Edge deletion of the coating is required to insure a proper seal in an insulated unit
There can be slight color variations of coating.
Generally speaking, a more expensive alternative than Hard Coat Low e glass.

I guess you pays yer money and makes yer choices.

Having compared the two, I was happy to pay the extra for the soft-coat. I can't now remember what the difference was, but in the overall cost of complete window and door replacement using a quality aluminium product it wasn't very significant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back