MASONA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Masona yesterday i was just putting right what i think is bad practice and an excuse what some people use when they dont want to do the job properly

Roofing tiles dont need fixing on nowadays-------Ask the manufacturers that one see what they say

Nailing every 4th row-------that means that 75% of your roof isnt fixed on

A cap full of waterproofer to a mix----the actuall recomended equivelent amount would be about 35 cap fulls

etc etc etc etc etc-----i am sure you get the jist

I just think it's bad to repeat what are basically old wifes tales

Sponsored Links
Freddie said:
Masona yesterday i was just putting right what i think is bad practice and an excuse what some people use when they dont want to do the job properly
No problem at all, you're entitled to your opinion, whether it's bad practise or not, I don't see the point of nailing every tiles unless as you says live in a high wind area but it must be a right bugger if you have flying debris smashing into the roof tiles and replacing the tiles when they're nailed. I have done a loads of roof building working along with roof tiler and they just nail the first 3 rows and every other 3rd one row after that, including nailing every 3 tiles on each end where the undercloat is or in the gulley area. Most tiler I've seen don't nail at all !! but not has any problem yet, maybe the reason because some tiles have interlock ( easier to replace the tile though ;) ) The other problem with nailing you have take extreme care you don't weaken or crack the tile & that's why you see tiles slipping. I wouldn't have cement tiles in a high wind area and I've fitted a few of these below which is ideal for that situation but only a life expectancy of up to 40 years, still cheaper than concrete tile and lighter. Another popular one is Decra Roofing which will last for years and very popular in Australia & New Zealand, they are catching on very fast over here.
If anyone want to see a Decra roofing most McDonald's food chain have them. Anyway it's now traineegasman we got to worry about :LOL: ;)
kspan4.jpg

Freddie said:
Having been the victim of a cowboy builder
Sorry to hear that and you're not alone. When we last has the Hurricane which batter southern England in 1987 I think, all of sudden we has a loads of overnight cowboy roof tilers because they saw a fast buck to be made out of insurance companies in which they has a backlog and couldn't cope with the demand & told the houseowner go ahead and get it done. My next door neighbour has 2 ridge tile bedded in for £1,350 for 1 man at 2hrs and that was in 1987 :!:

Sponsored Links
the problem with roof repairs is the customer wont get up and have a look so they have to take whoevers advise who turns up, so get a few quotes. all the customer can see is water coming through and you know the damage that can cause. i used to do roof repaires years ago for a builder and he would make an absolute fortune out of a roll of flashband, black **** as he used to call it a couple of slates and roof tiles and a roll of lead.

Now, I know this site is completely in Dutch, but it does show you how 99% of the houses are roofed in (old) NL. Just click on the roof tile, after the introduction

Enjoy ;)

Having worked in the construction industry for over 20 years, I know lots of blokes from all trades, and I can assure you that the manner Masona has desrcibed is basiclaly the one all tilers use unless there is a very good reason not too.

FWL_Engineer said:
Having worked in the construction industry for over 20 years, I know lots of blokes from all trades, and I can assure you that the manner Masopna has desrcibed is basiclaly the one all tilers use unless there is a very good reason not too.

I dont think any body has disputed that Engineer, but that doesnt mean it's correct or to the manufacturers instructions, just as everybody has always told me that if you are adding waterproofer to a render mix then a capfull of neat waterproofer is adiqaute, well i can tell you it certainly isnt correct and that may explain how they manage to get away with 1 gallon to render an entire house !

The point i was making they should be fitted to the manufacturers instructions and nothing else-----If you were having a gas fire fitted you would want it done no other way than what the manufacturer stipulates, so why should it be different with anything else, unless of course you know better.

Sponsored Links
Back