Maximum depth of mortar for laying slabs???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another question chaps...

Originally I was going to lay a bed of sand to achieve correct level for a patio, but... I'm thinking of just laying each slab individually on 'blobs' of mortar, what would you say the maximum thinkness of 'blob' can I use?

The area is allready concreted.

Blob is not a dirty word!!! :p

Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
mildmanneredjanitor said:
The area is allready concreted.
Are you saying the sand going on top of this concrete then blob cement on top of sand ?

Sorry Masona,

wasn't very clear.

Area concreted at present and dips in the middle.

Was going to lay down a bed of sand to required level and lay slabs directly then grout.

But due to the limitations of existing path levels, I have had to lay a couple of rows directly (using the blob method :) ) at each end.

the dip in the centre (about 4") I was going to level off with sand, but now I'm tempted to just use the blob method through out. Would 4" be to deep?

Appreciate your comments Oh great one! ;)

Is there a correct term for 'blob method'??? :oops:

BTW, blobs are about 5 to 1 mix, ok???

Sponsored Links
Was going to lay down a bed of sand to required level and lay slabs directly then grout.
Best to use a dry mix to require level, if the grout not rainproof it will wash the sand away and rock the slab in the long term.

the dip in the centre (about 4") I was going to level off with sand, but now I'm tempted to just use the blob method through out. Would 4" be to deep?
Use sharp sand mixed with 10mm pea shingle plus cement for that thickness or you could use 3/4" ballast.
Is there a correct term for 'blob method'??? :oops:
No :LOL:
BTW, blobs are about 5 to 1 mix, ok???
A bit weak, I would use 4 to 1 ratio.

I have done many slabs work and found a solid bedding give a better results for trouble free long term but more sand materials etc.The problem I find with sand bedding is ants/insects problem ! If you do, use a bricklayer trowel to from approx 3 V-shape to allow to tamper the slab down. Also see this for more useful information.

Thanks for all your help Masona!

Used ballast (I had some already!) for the deepest areas, will post some piccies when done.

Thanks once again! :D

Well, not yet finished but... as promised
Thanks for all your help Masona :D

Trouble is, the client wants the concreted area (including manhole covers) done now, after all the trouble I went to finding the levels to make it flush!

Also, the clients neighbour wants a quote now!

Pssst, don't tell BC!

(I'm not a builder... :oops: )

Trouble is, the client wants the concreted area (including manhole covers) done now, after all the trouble I went to finding the levels to make it flush!
Can you not raise the manhole cover up and you can buy insert type to put the paving in so all you will see is the metal frame.

(I'm not a builder... :oops: )
You don't have to be, that is a professional job you've done there !

breezer said:
whats that the "pidgin" is sitting on? (bottom rhs)

The 'wood pidgeon' :D unfortunately is no longer with us...

He was stalked by a stoney looking cat!

Wood%20Pidgeon.jpg

P.S. Bloody weather, glorious day! Then torrential rain in the evening - washed all my pointing away! Ho hum :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back