mbc tripped out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mbc has tripped out on my C/U and only my fridge was on at the time and nothing else on the ring main. I have reset it and been okay for 2 days, any reason for this ?

Sponsored Links
There are various reasons why it could trip - usually an overcurrent fault.

But not to complicate matters, can you tell me the mcb current rating (AMPS) and the fridge rating (WATTS, W or kW).

How old is the fridge?

C/Unit - 32A Type 2 ( 30mA LN 6330 )

Fridge model number - HT303I (5 months old, built-in housing type ) 13 amp plug, Energy rating 'B'

No details on instruction book regarding Watts or kW

sometimes find info on silver sticker on door or in fridge cavity.

Sponsored Links
if the fridge was the only thing on on that ring at the time there is a fault somewhere probablly in the house wiring as if it was in the fridge i would have expected the plug fuse to go first

i would suggest getting a sparky in to do a proper test and inspect

plugwash said:
if the fridge was the only thing on on that ring at the time there is a fault somewhere probablly in the house wiring as if it was in the fridge i would have expected the plug fuse to go first
Why?

Doesn't masona's description "32A Type 2 ( 30mA LN 6330 ) " hint that it's on an RCBO?

sorry i missed that little bit

he did say it was a mcb though not a rcbo

plugwash said:
he did say it was a mcb though not a rcbo
Sorry, that was my fault :oops:

I was just looking at the breaker and didn't look anywhere else, in the middle of the C/U I have this.

MK LN 5780
Residual - Current - Operated
Circuit - Breaker 240V ~
80A 2 POLE BS 4293
30MA Rated Tripping Current
2000A Rated Breaking Capacity

I still can't find the info rating on the fridge as it's properly on the side or back of the fridge as it's a intergrated built-in type.

Also forgot to mention the clock/radio was on the ring main as the same time as the fridge.

Just so we're clear on this ...

You have a 32A 30mA RCD which tripped to disconnect the ring main supplying a socket for your fridge

Also your main isolator (or partial protection for the above RCD) at your c/u is a 80A 30mA RCD.

Do a test for us ...
1. turn OFF the 32A RCD and check that your fridge went off. Turn it back on again.
2. turn off the 80A RCD and check that fridge went off. Turn it back on again.

This will confirm that the 80A RCD protects the 32A RCD which protects the fridge circuit.

Inspector said:
Do a test for us ...
1. turn OFF the 32A RCD and check that your fridge went off. Turn it back on again.
2. turn off the 80A RCD and check that fridge went off. Turn it back on again.

This will confirm that the 80A RCD protects the 32A RCD which protects the fridge circuit.

Yes, working okay.

Sorry to muck you about regarding what was on the ring main at the time, now realised there's some more.

Fridge, clock/radio, video on standby and the 24/7 netgear router but the pc was not on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back