MDPE pipe insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20211217-163312_Brave.jpg
I need to insulate an MDPE pipe that runs under a suspended timber floor. Is armaflex the correct stuff? Was gonna go for 19mm thick..... bear in mind the Utility Company is connecting it, so they'll want it done right..

Sponsored Links
Depends.

Heat loss, heat gain, location, environment and purpose all affect insulation choice.

Armaflex is specifically a closed cell insulation of benefit in a situation which can lead to damp, wet normal insulation. Used for cold piping or where hygiene or water proofing is important. Armaflex doesn't need cladding unless required for protection.

If you are doing this right, ask the company you are servicing to provide the insulation specification they use for this service. That should tell you exactly what to use. If they cannot supply a specification, give them a submittal of your recommendation including service limits, data sheets, etc and ask your contact to sign it off. This will waterproof your work against comeback should something nit be right.

They should have a specification for it though.

I used a similar product, I believe "closed cell" was the requirement, I don't recall UU providing a particular performance spec - mine was in a continuous roll but from eBay so don't know what make it was. What ducting are you using? I used 110mm soil pipe but I've since, I think, seen a flexible pipe that's like land drain without the holes that might be better.

The UU "inspectors" I have dealt with were clearly just blokes off the tools and only gave the insulation a cursory glance, they were thorough with the trench depth, and not particularly interested in my approach to capping off the dead leg when I did a CSP.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back