Mechanical boss into old clay soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Attached two photos.

For some context, I’m getting a new water supply. I’m getting it moled from my boundary to where it goes into my property. It will then go in an INSUduct up the wall and through the wall into my kitchen. You can see where I’ve cut the hole for my new water supply it’s the blue duct with insulation inside.

The issue is, the washing machine waste comes across and into the gulley that the kitchen basin waste goes out into. You can see where the washing machine waste comes in the first photo, by the black bin liner to the left of the door. It then runs into the gully, and presumably into that 5 inch clay pipe.

The 40mm washing machine waste will make installing the
INSUduct near impossible. The black pipe is a gas pipe which I’m having rerouted anyway (new boiler).

So…. on to my question. Can I use a boss and connect the 40mm washing machine waste to the clay soil pipe underground? I’d put an access point in the 40mm pipe above ground so you could get into it if there was an issue.

Something like this:

Will a standard 57mm holesaw cut through clay ok? If not I suppose the option is to expose some more of the clay pipe, cut out a section of it and connect a bit of plastic and boss into that. I’d rather not do that, but if it’s best I will.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to preemptively answer some of the ‘why are you doing this’ type questions.

Sponsored Links
I think I’ll try the hole saw. If it doesn’t get anywhere, I’ll chop a section out. Put a small plastic section in with a tee, then connect the 40mm waste to that.

I think by far and away your easiest option would be to cut the clay pipe back, fit a bend, and a new Bottle gully against the wall to the left of the Insuduct position. Washing machine waste can go into the side Boss on the Gully, and reroute the kitchen waste over the top of the Insuduct to suit new Gully position.

Trying to cut a hole into the clay may be a struggle.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Hugh Jaleak .

I’ll leave the sink waste where it is. Will add another gully to the left of the insuduct. Cut out a section of the clay. Put a section of plastic in with a tee. And have the washing machine waste go into it.

I don’t really fancy having the kitchen waste going over the top of the insuduct. If I damage the clay then I’ll have to go with what you said. But hoping I’ll end up with a gully for each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back