Megoflo discharge connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've just had a Megaflo unvented cylinder fitted (airing cupboard) and installer has connected the discharge pipe to the basin waste (in bathroom next to airing cupboard).

He cliams the building regs have just been changed to say that this method is now compliant.

Anyone here confirm this for me please?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi All,
I've just had a Megaflo unvented cylinder fitted (airing cupboard) and installer has connected the discharge pipe to the basin waste (in bathroom next to airing cupboard).

He cliams the building regs have just been changed to say that this method is now compliant.

Anyone here confirm this for me please?

TIA

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If it is the discharge from the two safety valves, ISTR it should be piped in metal to a safe place outside. Look at the installation instructions available at the Heatrae Sadia website.

http://www.heatraesadia.com/346.htm

Megaflo is used by some as a generic term for unvented water storage heaters (as Hoover is used for vacuum cleaner), but it is a Heatrae Sadia trademark. Check who made your device. If you asked for a Megflo and you have another (maybe cheaper) make, discuss with the installer. Ensure you get the Benchmark certificates completed.

Check the installer has a G3 unvented qualification (he will have an ID card issued by CIPHE, CITB, Corgi or similar) with his photo on it. Pay only when you've seen the ID. If there is a discrepancy between what he has installed and the installation instructions, take it up with the body that issued his card.

PS Post pictures. Please. :D

Hi,
It's definitely a Megoflo. I specifically asked for Megaflo and sure enough, the logo is on the cylinder itself.

He's also G3 qualified. I haven't actually seen his ID but the Gas Safe Register says he's G3. Is that sufficient?

I don't think he's dodgy. He's very knowledgeable and always answers my bombardment of questions.
It's just that during quoting stage he said he would run the discharge (in plastic as copper was no longer mandatory) to outside, by the garage door.

But on install, he says regs have just changed and he was on a course a couple of weeks ago that said it's ok to go to a waste.

I've seen the install instructions and mentioned them to him. But he insists the regs have changed. He does a lot of work in this city and well respected. Was just hoping that you guys could back up what he's saying.

Regs do change sometimes but I am not aware of any change allowing the use of non metal pipes or to allow it to discharge anywhere internally.

There is an exception to this and thats when the discharge is put through a type approved plastic device with a flexible tube inside which stays flat and together until water passes through it. After one of these the discharge can go to 32 mm or larger waste pipes.

I can see no logic in permitting the use of these but it has been!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The current Approved Document G is here;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/100312_app_doc_G_2010.pdf

See Diagram 1 on P 28.

The D1 discharge pipe, to the tundish, must be metal.

The D2 discharge pipe must be metal or an approved plastic, clearly and permanently marked. (I didn't know that :oops: )

Clause 3.60 covers the requirements for connections to a soil stack, which are only permissible if it can be shown the stack material is capable of tolerating boiling water. The connection (by a HEPVO mechanical trap) must be by a separate branch pipe with no sanitary appliances fitted to it (no wash-basins!). Otherwise see 3.61 for suitable terminations; all the examples given are external.

My installer says that the regs have very recently changed.
Was on a course about it just a couple of weeks ago, apparrently.

He's also G3 qualified. I haven't actually seen his ID but the Gas Safe Register says he's G3. Is that sufficient?

Does that show a photo ID of the G3 registered installer? A John Smith might be registered, and he might tell you he is that John Smith; you need to see a photo ID to confirm that.

His photo is definitely on the Gas Safe Register.

Doesn't show a photo of the G3 thing but lists it under the areas he can work on.

His photo is definitely on the Gas Safe Register.

Doesn't show a photo of the G3 thing but lists it under the areas he can work on.

Then he's kosher. Unless he has a twin.

Despite being kosher, I think he's telling porkies about the D2 discharge. The online Approved Document G is current, last updated April 2010 and there are no amendments planned in the near future.

My feeling is he's genuine.

But my concern is that he's run the discharge to waste thing as bit of a cost saver as I screwed him down on price.

But my concern is that he's run the discharge to waste thing as bit of a cost saver as I screwed him down on price.

See this all the time , the good guys just don't get the jobs anymore due to being 'too expensive' what were left with here is all the toe rags not adhering to the regs , what else can you expect?....decent job will always cost.

See this all the time , the good guys just don't get the jobs anymore due to being 'too expensive' what were left with here is all the toe rags not adhering to the regs , what else can you expect?....decent job will always cost.

But what am I to do?
He stated that he'd run it in plastic to outside the house cos that's what reg say and therefore I can only assume he's quoted accordingly.

Then after install, he says the regs have changed and what he's done complies.

I had in the region of 7 or 8 quotes for this job. Prices did vary quite a bit, but the majority were all around the same mark and so I went with one of those.

Plastic is allowed. But there is a method.
Not everyone is aware of it.

Plastic is allowed. But there is a method.
Not everyone is aware of it.

Yes, but connecting to a basin waste is not, which is the problem. Connection to a soil stack has to be with a dedicated branch, and only if the soil stack can withstand the boiling water.

Hurray for you! You must be well pleased with yourself. :LOL:
I think he's screwed you up in return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back