minimum width front and back for an inset sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, insetting a sink into a 38mm wooden worktop, 980x480 cutout, what is the minimum width I should have at front or back so that it is strong enough to manhandle into place?

Sponsored Links
Ideally centre and if it’s having tap to rear favour the rear gap by extra 10mm as it’s weakened by the hole required.

well it is a 720 mm front to back, so centre puts it quite far back and makes it a bit of a stretch for smaller family members if I do that, so wondering what the minimum recommended is, I don't want it creaking or breaking when I put it in place

I'd go for an 80mm front bar including the overhang into the sink, you could pull it forward for 70mm.

The aspect you have to consider is your back posture, a deeper front bar means you have to lean forwards further to reach the bowl, whereas a shallower front bar means you are more vertical.

Sponsored Links
I just re read your post, I was thinking undermount. So for inset the front bar can be 70mm, I always set the front bar at 70 unless it's a 600mm worktop then it 60-65mm.

When you fit the sink it goes on a bed of clear silicone, then the sink clips pull it down. Effectively this process puts the strength back into the front and back bar.

Hi, that what I was thinking. put it as far forward as is safe for more back comfort later.
Spare room at the back is always useful for sink gadgets etc

Hi, that what I was thinking. put it as far forward as is safe for more back comfort later.
Spare room at the back is always useful for sink gadgets etc
It matters not how deep your worktops are, the sink position stays the same. The thing to watch out for is sink base units with a center vertical post, it can fowl the bowl. But if you haven't got this set up then don't worry about it.

I have the center bowls clear of the verticals, the only thing I still do not know is how much I have to baby it when moving it about after it has a hole in the worktop. We are letting the flat bit push over the next unit, still looks right for the space and it only descends about 15mm where the clips go, so wont get in the way of anything.

Went and checked everything again, where I want to place the drainer bowl over the next unit means I have to put the cutout 85mm in from outer edge, so much safer to move before sink is clipped in.

Last edited:
well it is a 720 mm front to back, so centre puts it quite far back and makes it a bit of a stretch for smaller family members if I do that, so wondering what the minimum recommended is, I don't want it creaking or breaking when I put it in place
Well that vital information was missing from your post.You don’t design a kitchen to accommodate children .

Last edited:
I have the center bowls clear of the verticals, the only thing I still do not know is how much I have to baby it when moving it about after it has a hole in the worktop. We are letting the flat bit push over the next unit, still looks right for the space and it only descends about 15mm where the clips go, so wont get in the way of anything.

Went and checked everything again, where I want to place the drainer bowl over the next unit means I have to put the cutout 85mm in from outer edge, so much safer to move before sink is clipped in.
BABY IT?

cut the hole, silicone bead either on worktop or on lip of sink, pop it in, measure for parallel on front bar, do clips up a bit, check parallel fully fix all clips, wipe of excess silicone, or leave to cure and peel it off, have a cup of tea/coffee/Whiskey celebrate a successful installation.

I have to join the end of the worktop to another worktop, so it involves messing with hard to get at ends where the clamps go, so the assembly sequence ends up being not straightforward, also I would need the room to put a couple of stands to rest the table on while I cut the rectangular bit out, so it has to be taken out of the kitchen, cut out the rectangle, bring it back into kitchen, do some assembly stuff, I think it will be too heavy for me to manhandle in place if the sink is bolted into it before trying to fit it.

I do the sink cut out in situ, I put the worktop in its intended final position. Mark sink cut out with masking tape. Then raise the worktop on supports and then do the straight cuts with a Plunge Saw lower back down and finish with jigsaw.

Bolt all the worktops together then drop the sink in "not literally".

With worktop in situ for sink cutout it reduces the risk of it snapping when your trying to manoeuvre it, normally from outside.

Well I have it in place, but the little rubber covered clips for the sink are giving me problems when I lower it into the cutout. one or more drop out as I am lowering it in. Do I remove the screws and metal bit till it is all in place? Or what is the best way to get these in? It is a "quartz" sink, so filled resin, and the rubber clips dont want to go all the way into the grooves provided under the sink. I dont want to hammer them in, it might break something.

Throws the clips in the bin, silicone the sink as if to seal it to the worktop, put the sink in, put cardboard on the drainer and in the sink bowls and pile with heavy objects, leave for 24 hours for silicone to cure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back