Monobloc kitchen tap mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On this kitchen tap (pictured) I can't see a way to remove the tap handles to get inside to access the washers, valves, etc. to repair a drip.

I can feel a hole around the back that probably contains a grub screw that would release the curved spout. But it seems like nothing else comes off, as far as I can see or feel.

Any ideas? Is this just cheap tat, made to be replaced, and not repaired?

Thanks,
Geoff

Sponsored Links
They are not all the same, but if you cannot see any fixing screws or a small access hole to fixing screws. Generally the tap lever will lift straight up, with some gently force. This will then give you access to the valve, there will likely be a cir-clip over the spindle.

the round part at the bottom of the tap levers will unscrew

Hi KidGreen61,

Thanks for the response.
The round part at the bottom of the tap levers is one solid piece of metal with the tap levers, not separate.

The other alternative is worth a try (pull off). I'll see...

Sponsored Links
the tap lever will lift straight up, with some gentle force

Hi PrenticeBoy,

Yes, gentle force did lift off the tap lever, after a little bit of rocking back and forth.

Now I'm faced with this (pictured) that looks very approachable!

Thank you, all!
Geoff

The blue plastic, should also lift away, this will then leave access to spindle clip and the valve nut.

PrenticeBoy, you are exactly right. It came apart just as you said, and now I can see all the parts in front of me...

I figured the cartridges would be standard, and I could take to any ironmonger for replacement.

But having the old part in-hand was not enough! It turns out to be impossible to replace the cartridges without knowing the make and model of tap, according to the experts at Nu-Line in London. :rolleyes:

Home again -- looking at faint writing on the base of the tap -- I found out the make of tap it is: Damixa. And looking online I found the model: Damixa Venus.
http://www.damixa.com/p/1440/Venus/Kitchen-Mixer

Anyone know a good place to purchase replacement cartridges?

Geoff

Geoff

So, ultimately, I found what I needed from www.TapMagician.co.uk
I wrote to them on their website, and told them I had a Damixa Venus, and they wrote back and said I needed a pair of QE53 cartridges.

The price was about 40 quid and 3 quid for shipping. Ordered on the weekend, and they arrived by Royal Mail on Tuesday.

Fitted them Tuesday night, and now it's all done. No more leaks.

The one strange thing, is that the pair of QE53 cartridges are puportedly colour coded red and blue for hot and cold, and the colours were the wrong way around, so after I got it all fixed, I had to take it apart and do it the opposite way, so the handles would pivot in the correct direction.

So the next plumber who takes it all apart will see the red tap on cold and blue on hot, and wonder "whaaaa?"

Thanks everyone for help!

Geoff

Geoff

So, ultimately, I found what I needed from www.TapMagician.co.uk
I wrote to them on their website, and told them I had a Damixa Venus, and they wrote back and said I needed a pair of QE53 cartridges.

The price was about 40 quid and 3 quid for shipping. Ordered on the weekend, and they arrived by Royal Mail on Tuesday.

Fitted them Tuesday night, and now it's all done. No more leaks.

The one strange thing, is that the pair of QE53 cartridges are puportedly colour coded red and blue for hot and cold, and the colours were the wrong way around, so after I got it all fixed, I had to take it apart and do it the opposite way, so the handles would pivot in the correct direction.

So the next plumber who takes it all apart will see the red tap on cold and blue on hot, and wonder "whaaaa?"

Thanks everyone for help!

Geoff

Lever taps quite often come with the levers pointing outwards in the off position and it is left to the plumber to change them round to a more useable position. Almost everyone prefers it the other way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back