Mould on recently plastered walls, supposed to be painted tomorrow!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've had issues with damp and mould in our living room, the walls were covered in plastic cladding when we moved in and we noticed damp/mould on the floorboards. After looking under there was damage to joists etc also.

A couple of weeks ago we had the plastic cladding removed, the wall treated and a damp proof membrane put into the wall (excuse me if my terminology is slightly off I'm not a builder!) and then the walls replastered.

We also had the damaged joists below the floorboards replaced and damp proofing there also.

Until today we were happy with everything, and had arranged for painter decorators to come tomorrow to paint the living room and other parts of the house. Today though we have noticed very small patches of black mould on certain parts of the plaster. We've made sure there is a window open at least a little since this has happened to keep the room ventilated, and the plaster looks to be almost fully dried out.

This is obviously very frustrating for us, we're trying to get in touch with the builder who carried out the work but we're not sure if we need to cancel tomorrow's painting. After reading online most posts say that it is just the moisture from the plaster escaping, so if that is the case and it's looking dry can we clean the mould with white vinegar or something similar and go ahead with the painting tomorrow?

Or is that me being overly optimistic and we need to cancel and have the walls re-plastered?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
OP,
Cancel the painting.
Dont touch whats left of the mould - get the builder to return & provide an explanation for the mould.
Much might depend on what you mean by tanking?
Much more might depend on was the original cause or causes of your various damp problems corrected by "the builder"?
Your post raises a number of red flags

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back