Mounting a boiler?? Stud wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get my Worcester 24i junior moved - are there any issues with mounting a boiler on a stud wall?

I will not be doing this myself, but I need to plan where everything is going. I will ask my plumber later as well, but just wanted to be informed?

My plan is to mount to a stud wall that comes away from the outer skin of the house. The flue will then go through the outer wall to the right of the boiler.
I don't have enough room on the outer wall to mount the boiler due to a window frame.
Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
as long as the wall will hold the boiler :idea:

my plan would be 3/4"" ply over at least 3 studs

then asbestolux / firetac behind the boiler

then carry on

havent done one for a while so dont take this as the be and end of ;)

last one i seen was nailed to 2 scaffold battens :eek:

This would be fine, ply across two/three studs with a minarit sheet or similar to provide the fire resistant barrier.

The 24i junior doesn't weigh very much so isn't really any different to hanging a wall unit other than the fire issue.

Sponsored Links
I normally use 18 mm MDF as its cheaper than plywood and stronger!

Plumb centre used to sell two sizes of fire proof sheet supplied in useful sizes that dont need cutting.

Tony

I normally use 18 mm MDF as its cheaper than plywood and stronger!
Your mdf must be better than the stuff I have seen Tony, or your plywood is cheap polish import. Or do you have a secret trick to reinforce it?

Finding a lot of MI dont mention the need for asbestolux etc now with the low heat generated outside of boilers and just say fitted to a sound surface.

Finding a lot of MI dont mention the need for asbestolux etc now with the low heat generated outside of boilers and just say fitted to a sound surface.

I was just wondering that, I've fitted a few ultracoms now straight to ply, as the Mi allows it. Do WB allow it? I've just had to quote for one cos the custard wants it :evil:

HA HA. Get your bandaids readys for the razor cuts and take a crossword with you to do on the the stupid initial start up process and for fek sake dont turn off the fused spur as you show customer controls otherwise your back to square 1

Many MI dont mention it but they dont need to because its in BS 5440, Building Regs or some similar document we are meant to comply with even if we cannot afford a copy.

If you ask them they will probably say it has to be mounted on a non combustible surface.

Tony

General
The appliances are not suitable for external installation.
The wall on which the Greenstar i Junior and Greenstar Si
boiler is to be mounted should be capable of supporting an
overall weight of approximately 40kg and approximately
50kg for the Greenstar CDi.
The wall does not require special protection. However, if
the appliance is to be fitted in a timber frame building the
guidelines laid down in BS 5440:part 1 and the CORGI
publication “Gas Installations in Timber Frame Buildings”
should be adhered to.

the above is taken straight from WB manual, so the only precaution is when in a timber frame gouse (which will apply to flue going through the fabric rather than boiler on the wall)

find viessmann dont do flue distance dimensions in MIs, they also refer to british standards.maybe somthing to look out for regarding things like these.

cheers kirk, thats handy then. The ultracom manual says something similar:
"The boiler and flue are suitable for installation onto and
through combustible materials provided that:-
1) Minimum 5mm clearance is maintained around the
circumference of the flue (air intake).
2) The combustible surface and fixings are suitable for
supporting the load.
3) The minimum clearances from the boiler case are
maintained."

I'm hoping they'll still take the ultracom anyway as i slipped it in the quote as an alternative, as its 200 notes cheaper than the cr4ppy Si and far better imo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back