Mounting an external socket on uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like an external waterproof socket, but the walls are an uneven reconstituted stone block, similar to the picture. What's the best way to go about mounting it?
walling block.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I'd not thought of using spacers; that will be easier than using a back board of some kind, and will undoubtedly look better too.

Thank you. I'd not thought of using spacers; that will be easier than using a back board of some kind, and will undoubtedly look better too.
But don't forget to seal around it with silicone if the cable entry is at the back.

Sponsored Links
Or for a flusher fit stitch drill an area within the outline of the box to the depth of the greatest protrusion, and seal round.

For spacers on uneven surfaces I have used tap rubber O rings as they can be compressed.
SFK

Grommets and washers too or cut lengths of plastic conduit , larger diameter helps spread the load a bit too if available

Or for a flusher fit stitch drill an area within the outline of the box to the depth of the greatest protrusion, and seal round.
That's going to look lovely when the socket eventually needs to be replaced. I wouldn't do that on the brickwork of my house, would you do it to yours?

That's going to look lovely when the socket eventually needs to be replaced. I wouldn't do that on the brickwork of my house, would you do it to yours?
Likewise any exterior fixing holes, the idea is they are covered by the socket. I can see it would take longer but it remains an option especially if the OP is doing the work himself. A pro electrician wouldn't pursue it because of the time/cost/ pricing implications.

Yes, to fix any socket sturdy on a wall then 4 fixing holes surely? ok two or three might suffice in some instances but 4 should be accounted for, you could mount a wooden plinth and attach to that as an easier way to obtain flatness if you think it looks appropriate but you would still need some amount of packing level usually so whichever options you take might distract from aesthetics when installed/removed/amended.

Thanks all, some food for thought there. I'll have a close look at the wall and see what degree of un-flatness needs to be coped with, and adapt from all your helpful suggestions. Aesthetics are of course always a consideration, but the particular location I have in mind is not too exposed, so I have some leeway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back