Multimeter Recommendations Home / DIY use - FLUKE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I searched and most threads seem to be 2007 or older , tried a search since 2020 and didnt get much

I'm thinking of getting a decent Multimeter , for home DIY use

Maybe budget to £100

When i was in the trade - Electronic Engineer , I had my own AVO 8 for home use and also a fluke 8020B i think - new in 1981 ish
the 8020B lasted until about 97 , when i was well out of the trade , and also no longer did much hobby electronics

I purchased a cheap £10 ish Digital meter from Maplin , which has been OK , but i was thinking maybe getting another Fluke and thinking of the 101 .... which is on offer at Amazon for just under £70 , which would be OK
But i cannot find it on the UK Fluke site.

it was only when I was doing home electronics , I ever got it mA current measurements - otherwise Domestically I have never needed to measure current...

I have used on the car many years ago, and may well do in future, but that would just be 12V DC , battery voltage and charging type measurements as well as continuity.

But , TODAY - mainly because i was doing some work on a door bell and insulation cable , 2x 1.5V batteries and testing all that for DC underload and also continuity and got a bit frustrated ........

anyway - any recommendations on a good DIY / Home use meter

i may get over myself and just stay with the cheap meter ..... and not keep looking at fluke (Brand Lead), which i used when in the industry

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
TBH I'd just stick with a cheap one, your not likely to need something like a Fluke which are just overpriced meters imo.
Just make sure it has all the features that you think you may need on it.

I have lots, Fluke, actual AVO's, and multiple cheapies. They are scattered around both workshops, in the car and etc. - The cheapies work just fine and you cannot beat having one close to hand, when you need one.

thanks
yea, normal voltage Ac/Dc and ohms is all i have used for years really
i just wanted to zero the meter out and then measure a longish cable - and also have a continuity buzzer

But lived with out that for over 26 years , and i have done a lot of electrical work / electronics with it over the years

i may get rid of the avo 8 - 1976ish model - with a leather case - looking on ebay only worth a few £'s - battery probably cost more then i would get for it

anyway , calmed down a bit - so easy just to click on BUY with amazon

cheers

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
thats interesting, never considered amazon own make - which is some rebranded version
looks like a good spec

The pull out stand , i now remember was something i wanted when in a loft to prop the think up , kept falling over when measuring a load of junction boxes

on my amazon DIY list

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
Great to hear - I have also added details othe their cheap one which I do also like (it is smaller than you expect) that due to its low weight and clear screen I tend to use for continuity, wire resistance and quick checks of mains.

Last edited:
my old one is 2000 , but not auto-ranging, and all the selections are in 2's
not so much of a problem , but if i am going to spend i may as well get better then i have

i just wanted to zero the meter out and then measure a longish cable - and also have a continuity buzzer

Modern meters, use auto zeroing for resistance measurement. Measuring a longish cable, assuming it is a mains cable, then its resistance will be too low for a multimeter to measure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back