Multimeters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

can anyone recommend a decent multimeter.. im in the heating trade.. still a little bit fresh to it... and require a multimeter to test voltage and resistance... maybe temp also... someone recommended a fluke 116... it looks ideal.. but i didnt wana spend that much seen as though its the first multimeter i purchase and i suppose i still need to familarise myself with a multimeter...

what do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
cheapest one possible. cos when it gets.........." liberated" you wont lose any sleep.

There are cheaper meters than the Fluke, but in addition to the functions make sure you can read capacitance too.

Sponsored Links
I've had my fluke 73 for years and years, it doesnt do capacitance but I have no need for it so it serves me well. Its been dropped, clanged, banged, had mains put through it on just about every setting and still going strong. It was very expensive at the time as autorangers wernt that common.
If you only use mains or certain voltage range then autoranging isnt a necessity but its SOO handy, a pain having to switch from 1-10, 10-100 etc, whack it on ac or dc and off you go, same goes for resistance, one setting and thats it. I wouldnt like to guarantee the accuracy of mine, it hasnt been calibrated since I got it but for my needs its fine, mains or not, 5v or 12v, high or low resistance. Like any tool though, note your needs and get a tool accordingly.

kevplumb said:
if your new to it fella buy a cheap one then when you put 240 through it when its on resistance it aint such a hartache ;)

My Fluke has had that treatment several times, it's still working.

eggplant said:
........... it doesnt do capacitance but I have no need for it.........

It gives useful information when looking for a problem, if you know how to use it.

Not for me it doesnt, I have no need whatsoever to measure capacitance, years ago I hade a seperate cap meter but had a use for it then. A heating engineer might, but I certainly dont.

thank for the advice guys...
but are there any brands that u can recommend.... i have seen a Di-LOG DL9206 for bout £40 which seemed ok.. but the guy i was with said i should shop around a bit.. he hand really heard of the brand... also does anyone know websites where i can purchase this kinda stuff... done an search but cant find anythin descent...

Buy a decent one and it will serve you well.

The guy who has a Fluke and knows how to use it is worth far more than someone who bought cheap off the market.

I bought my replacement off Ebay and it's as good as gold.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/fluke-multimeter_W0QQfromZR41QQssPageNameZWLRS

Whilst looks can be deceiving I often look at engineer tools then their work and see the obvious correlation.

A tradesman who turns up with neat and tidy, clean organised van,good quality tools Fluke, Bahco, Rothenburger etc will automatically have a distinct advantage.I suppose it's a matter of personal integrity and respect for your job/trade...

I have often in the past argued with others about buying good tools. The oft response is "yer but I always lose them in six months"

My reply is that I'd rather have six months out of a Bacho screwdriver and be miffed it's gone than some piece of crap bought off the market which I would have probably chucked off a cliff long before that.

"A good tradesman never blames his tools" Have you ever questioned the reasoning behind this phrase??

Cheers

Richard

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
r.bartlett said:
A tradesman who turns up with neat and tidy, clean organised van,...........

Bugger, that's me finished then :(

A tradesman who turns up with neat and tidy, clean organised van,good quality tools Fluke, Bahco, Rothenburger etc will automatically have a distinct advantage.I suppose it's a matter of personal integrity and respect for your job/trade...

...is a tradesman with time on his hands.

i like chaos anyway. ..

oilman said:
kevplumb said:
if your new to it fella buy a cheap one then when you put 240 through it when its on resistance it aint such a hartache ;)

My Fluke has had that treatment several times, it's still working.

eggplant said:
........... it doesnt do capacitance but I have no need for it.........

It gives useful information when looking for a problem, if you know how to use it.

You will only blow the meter if measuring too large a current,and even though,fluke meters are fitted with quick blow fuses!

Heres a little tip on how to check the internal fuse.

1. meter on resistance
2.red lead plugged in to volts/ohms position.
3.insert black lead in amps position
4.should read perfect continuity. If meter reads open circuit,its blown :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back