My electric shower is dead, any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Last February i brought and installed myself a Gainsborough 9.5kW electric shower to replace the old and crumbling 8kW one that was already in place. Its worked fine til this morning...

When i turned it on it immediately started spluttering violently so i quickly turned it back off half thinking it was going to explode in my face. When i turned it back on and every time ive tried since the water fails to warm up at all.

At first i thought the heating element had just burnt out but the flow control seems to have stopped having any affect too. Before on its coldest setting it would give a lot of pressure now its just a little more than a dribble whatever setting i use.

It was working fine an hour before this happened. I know it is receiving power as the light on the pull switch is on (annoyingly theres no indicator on the shower itself) and water pressure seems fine around the rest of the house.

I am going to call customer service when they reopen on monday but i was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to what the problem might be and if i could fix it without outside help?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
I've fitted a few Triton ones and there is a plastic filter that pushes inside the 15mm supply pipe which connects to the compression fitting on the inlet side, so possibility of a blockage there. Otherwise, perhaps the showerhead is blocked.

I'll go with Murray.

Sounds like it could be a (water) flow problem.

your spluttering also points to an erratic flow problem.

Have you done any plumbing work where cr*p may have got into the pipework?

Ive not done any work on the pipes since i put the shower in. However i do live in a hard water area and the plumbing in the house is quite old so who knows whats lurking in my pipes.

I had a look at the filter inside the shower there was no blockage there. But then again the filter didnt look like i would actually catch anything smaller than a couple of mm.

My investigations will continue...

Sponsored Links
Faulty inlet valve solenoid? Not opening properly, therefore erratic and inadequate water flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back