My EPDM roof is making banging and cracking sounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 18 months ago we had a flat roof extension built on the back of our house and all has been good. I've noticed recently though that there is intermittent banging/cracking/knocking noises from the roof. It's a EPDM warm roof construction, about 16 sq. m.

The noise isn't constant, I just notice it now and again when I'm sat in there, mostly during the day and particularly when the sun comes out - I don't tend to hear it in the morning or the evening, or at least not as much, but when the sun comes out the noises start quite soon after, perhaps once every 5 or 10 mins on average.

I've done some reading and know it can happen due to the materials contracting and expanding - I must say I've only started noticing it since the weather has got (slightly!) warmer. There's no obvious bulges, cracks, rips or anything else either on the roof itself or the ceiling of the extension. But also, I believe this is more common with fibreglass roofs and that it's less common with EPDM roofs?

I've asked if the installers (the company who built the extension) can come and look if it's anything obvious. The builder has already says it sounds like heating and cooling is the likely culprit and not much can probably be done, but he is going to check. Another roofer I messaged for a second opinion said he hadn't heard of it happening with EPDM just from temperature changes, and that it could be something not secured down properly for example.

I just wondered if anyone else had experience of a flat roof, particularly EPDM, making these kind of noises, and what, if anything, likely solutions might be?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back