My front door has no threshold support (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into this house and still discovering corner cutting in building quality. House is built in 1999/2000.

So, i decided to replace my 25 year old front door (upvc) to composite.
Surveyor comes in to measure up and upon lifting top step of entrance we discover my current door hanging in midair not resting on anything.
There's a gap of 10 mm between badly placed, too small of a block in the middle, effectively making a levitating door with bendy threshold on a bottom frame.
Also voids on both sides under floor so long i can stick my hand in there, there is NO support at the bottom at all...

I need ideas how to fix this without wrecking the place...

Wasnt there supposed to be some sort of threshold block there ?

1728051085597.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You have to ask the person who will fit your composite door.
Then you won't have any issue.
But obviously I would like to see my front door frame supported at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
I think that the bricks that formed the step need to be removed, maybe even the slabs lifted to see what is at the back of the step. Houses built then should have wheelchair access as standard (i.e. no step at the threshold).
What are your neighbours doorways like? Similar or different? Where is the DPC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back