MY LIGHTING IS MADNESS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced two light switches one of which is fine and dandy running off my kitchen circuit. The other my landing and downstairs lights are on a two way switch downstairs but my landing is a one way switch upstairs only problem is after changing the switches the only downstairs lights to work are the kitchen and garage, now my garage light is part of the downstairs circuit, as when I take out the fuse (main) the garage light goes on and off but the rest of the circuit is kapuuutttt please can someone help me I'm a soldier and have to go away till fri so need to fix the prob for my trouble and strife

Sponsored Links
how many wires does your landing light have? normally its 3 making it 2 way, not one.

for the time being why not put the origonal swicthes back

2way-switching.gif

This is very hard to follow. I presume by one way you mean one gang, which is different.

Lets get this straight, there were no problems until you changed the switches. you bought a replacement switch for the upstairs landing light which is also controlled by a switch down stairs. your upstairs switch has 3 wires and the downstairs switch which controls the same landing light has 5. Is this correct?

breezer i'm reffering to marbels post being hard to follow not you diagram.

Sponsored Links
yes you are c orrect, i have already replaced most switches in my new home but this is strange as no other downstairs lights will work although my garage light does work which although external is connected to the downstairs ciruit. upstairs has a two core cable for l1 and l2 both cloured red and also a single red cable to go to the light itself i presume and the double cable is fromt he the downstairs switch i am obviously just starting out in this field so my discriptions may not be the best but i really appreciate dany helping hand advice

by the way i forgot to say my downstairs switch has a is double size ie it has two common and 2 x l1 and l2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back