Nailing epoxy resin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use panel pins on epoxy resin repaired wood. Anyone has experience of nailing into cured epoxy resin? The resin I am talking about is similar to timbabuild.

As an alternative, I could drill hole for pin and glue the pin in place using the same resin. Although this might not work because there are claims that resin would not stick to cured resin.

Sponsored Links
Ive fitted a letter plate, the old holes were filled with 2 part resin and took a small fixing, not sure about anything heavier though. Make sure its mixed to the manufacturers specifications.

Screwing should work if appropriately pre-drilled with the right sized pilot hole. I did that in chemical anchor and it worked. Epoxy resin feels to have a slightly greater yielding ability (compressibility). But, I am playing with pins. If no one has experience, I suppose I will have to experiment.

Using left over resin, I made an experimental piece. The plan is to drill a 1mm hole and hammer in a 1.5mm pin. Success if no cracking. An alternate solution is to drill a 1.5mm hole and glue nail using hybrid polymer sealant. Gluing using resin could be too strong and causing things to break when pulling out the nail in the future.

The piece will also be used for confirming: 1. ikea silicone drawer liner is suitable as a re-usable mixing pad; 2: cling film used as a barrier for forming the piece will not stick once the piece is cured; 3. new resin has weak bond to the cured piece.

epoxy-resin.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The cured resin peeled off from both the silicone sheet and cling film easily. These make useful tools for working with epoxy resin.

Drilling and nailing worked. The resin wasn't dense. Consequently the holes exerted fairly weak grip on the nails.
nailing-1.png

Nailing without drilling also worked. This is the solution I will take. Although, I suspect the resin will become more brittle over time. So, it is best to nail when the resin is freshly cured.

nailing-2.png

New resin did stick to the cured resin on the smooth and slippery side. I was unable to separate them by hand. For most applications, the bond strength is good enough.

I did run into the danger of epoxy resin, that of a thermal run away. I mixed about 180g. I scraped it together into a lump for convenience. About 10 minutes into a repair, the lump had gone hard. I played with it a bit and found it giving off a lot of heat. It was too hot for my hand to hold, separated by the silicon pad. Theoretically, the heat could ignite the wood being repaired if a large amount of resin was involved.

For large repairs, it will be necessary to mix a small amount, apply, and wait for it to be half cured before mixing and applying more. This is actually more economical because it's hard to estimate how much resin is needed. Of the 180g I mixed, the job only took about 50g.

Last edited:
New resin did stick to the cured resin on the smooth and slippery side. I was unable to separate them by hand. For most applications, the bond strength is good enough.

I did run into the danger of epoxy resin, that of a thermal run away. I mixed about 180g. I scraped it together into a lump for convenience. About 10 minutes into a repair, the lump had gone hard. I played with it a bit and found it giving off a lot of heat. It was too hot for my hand to hold, separated by the silicon pad. Theoretically, the heat could ignite the wood being repaired if a large amount of resin was involved.

For large repairs, it will be necessary to mix a small amount, apply, and wait for it to be half cured before mixing and applying more. This is actually more economical because it's hard to estimate how much resin is needed. Of the 180g I mixed, the job only took about 50g.

I have used the 4 hour timbabuild loads of times. It can be used at depths of up to 60mm. I have never noticed it getting hot enough to damage timber. AFAIK, it can be screwed and nailed- that said, I have needed to do either. I have however experienced 2 pack polyester resin fillers becoming uncomfortably hot.

If painted, I don't see why it would become brittle. Which product did you purchase?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back