Naive question about mem fuse board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. This is my MEM very old fuse board. I would like to look inside it so I can see what amp my cooker circuit is. But, when it is off, I can't find a hinge or latch to open it. It's got a couple of screws on the front but I'm not supposed to open those, am I? Please help

Attachments

• IMG_20240723_195518.jpg
    IMG_20240723_195518.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Don't touch that.

What makes you think it will be inside there?

That's a main isolator. Not a consumer unit.

On your consumer unit, (on the oven MCB it should specify the rating of the maximum current.) You won't need to open anything.

The two screws come out and allow the front to come off when the main switch is off. Usually you get two 30A carriers, and either two 15A, or one 15A and one 5A. these were used for standard domestic installations where you would have a 30A sockets ring, 30A cooker, 15A immersion heater and 5A lights. The carriers may also contain asbestos flash pads

What colour are the cables comming out the top, do they have black outer insulation like they look like they might do, or is it just poor lighting?

That board is long overdue for replacement, being circa 50 years old. I assume you are asking because you have an appliance retailer connecting a cooker to the cooker cirucit - I have no idea how they would react to seeing that board, they'd possibly decide because there isn't an MCB silkscreened with 30 or 32A that they don't know how to proceed

But if you have a 6mm cooker cirucit in your kitchen, realistically its going to be on a 30A fuse in there

Sponsored Links
I think it's fair to assume that is the consumer unit with 4 fuses as already described.
I think so too.

I don't believe a spark would stick the 2 colours warning sticker on DNO equipment.

It is a not totally uncommon piece of equipment, yes there are some still in service, they have pretty much stood the test of time.
During the first half of my working life they were pretty common and would not cause any qualms.

I think some might be surprised how many short years ago the Wylex 604 and bog standard rewireable fuses (BS 3036) were King and then those "Special Magical" MCBs could be fitted as a replacement upgrade being "Safer", in fact I have heard some "Electricians" quote that "MCBs protect you from electric shock" kind of speak.
Not an RCD in sight.
In most installations they started off as a "Might be a good idea" thing to have those early RCDs and so were often added as a separate unt in its own enclosure, often when adding a new circuit such as an electric shower - the water and electrics worried some (in fact I`ve seen quite a few electric shower installs where the shower heater was mounted much too high to be easy to use and outside the edge of the bath area cos folk were so wary of water and electrics).
The other RCD favourite was for the lawn mower/extension lead outside, scenario.
But generally folk never flinched to see a MEM or a BILL switchfuse or two.

It's a 4 way consumer unit, probably installed somewhere around the early or mid 60s.

As I recall, you cannot have the main switch ON when the lid is removed.

I don't believe a spark would stick the 2 colours warning sticker on DNO equipment.
I doubt it was likely to be DNO property but.
It's a 4 way consumer unit, probably installed somewhere around the early or mid 60s.
that form factor includes a single fuse at 60A so it could be a submain. This is an earlier version in 30A (on left) from 50's/60's, My home built around 1965 had this older style. My guess; the 'all pressed' version like OP more likely 70's. I did a fair amount of work for a builder around 1973-5 and both versions were being supplied at that time (a real pain as sometimes 2 were fitted and possibly a struggle to get a match).
1721835040118.jpeg

However from what has been posted I do think its a 4 way fusebox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back