Narrow trestles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TLDR: Building brick structure, only have 50-60cm clearance around three sides; can't fit standard trestles. What do?

I'm currently planning a brick-and-block garden gym at the bottom of my garden. It'll be 4.5m x 3.5m x either 2.5m or 2.8m depending on planning permission. Everything's going swimmingly (except the COST), but for one snag : The area is bounded on both sides and the rear by neighbouring fences, and I can't find trestles that will fit. I'll have 50cm clearance, and maybe another 10cm if I remove the fences (there are sheds on the other side of the fences). Standard builder's trestles are about 1m wide at the base. As I see it, my options are :

a) Change the design. Absolute last resort - it'll be cramped enough as it is.

b) Plasterer's trestles. They have a footprint of about 60cm, but they only have a rise of about 60cm. I'll need at least 1.3m to have a chance at laying decent bricks.

c) Using something, anything, else to support the platforms. Fall risk is not a massive concern here - there are fences, fenceposts and sheds I can brace against. Still, gravity is a fickle mistress and I'd do well to flatter her.

d) Build both leaves from inside. I'm not nearly skilled enough to do a good job - even if the wall will be hidden behind a fence.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-ph

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Who will maintain the ground, walls, gutters, windows etc if you leave a 50cm gap?

Besides building it, worry about whether you're making trouble for the future. I'd design for a 1m gap, make it possible to build and maintain. You can then have a path and won't have some wild jungle of weeds you can't do anything about.

I'd just build some bespoke ones out of wood that you can then fold down and keep.

Loads of videos on the tube.

Sponsored Links
I'd just build some bespoke ones out of wood that you can then fold down and keep.
I like the cut of your jib. I'll keep this as a last resort; I'd prefer to trust my life to implacable steel over my shoddy woodwork.

TLDR: Building brick structure, only have 50-60cm clearance around three sides; can't fit standard trestles. What do?
We usually fix a bearer into the bed joint with 100mm 6's and brown plugs. The bearer being a piece of 100mm x 50mm timber and let it fly past the ends. Then use any old ingenious method of supporting the outer scaffold board, i.e. step ladders etc.

There's always a way.

Build the outer skin using your blocks and roof timbers as trestles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back