Navien NCB300-28K Condensing Combi Boiler - Operations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having moved to a new property in June, the Navien NCB300-28K boiler has only been used for the hot water. Last night we decided to test the radiators so, following the (basic) manual, I did the 5 second M and + button push which brought up a number (5 Switched Live, I think)

The other options are:
1 Navien Thermostat
2 Panel
3 OpenTherm
4 CH Thermostat

The radiators all warmed up (great news).

There is also an ESI Remote Thermostat sitting around (which I figured that the previous owners had used) but when I set the above setting to 3, there was a red spanner flashing (system fault).
Could this be because the remote thermostat and/or boiler hasn’t been connected to our home wifi?
And if they were, is 3 the correct setting for the hot water?

Also, is there an easy way to just switch the central heating on/off, when we come in from work for example, on the boiler?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6890.jpeg
    IMG_6890.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Have you found a receiver for the ESI stat located anywhere, probably near the boiler?

It looks like...

1727814872107.jpeg

Finding out how this was wired up, will give you the answer to what setting the boiler should be using.
If the default setting was 'switched live', that may very well be how it's been wired, even if both the boiler and stat are capable of using OpenTherm.

And the receiver should have a nice big override button, for an easy way to switch the C/H on and off.

...and just to note, the small triangular symbol in the middle of the display (16), shows that there is an existing RF link between the wireless stat and the receiver - it should work.
Screenshot_20241001-214303_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Instructions available here...

Edit: The snowflake symbol on the display, shows that the thermostat is turned off, and frost protection is enabled.

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Tonight we’ll use the override button to see if the heating comes on straight away. That would be useful to know as it gets colder. We’ll have to read the remote thermostat instructions to figure out how that is currently set up.

I reckon that if the left button is pressed and on M (Manual ?) then the right button will switch it off and on, and working off of the thermostat if pressed to A (Automatic ?).

Sponsored Links
Much appreciated, I guess that they just dropped it to minimum over the summer months to avoid it starting up at all.

I reckon that if the left button is pressed and on M (Manual ?) then the right button will switch it off and on, and working off of the thermostat if pressed to A (Automatic ?).
Your receiver model is slightly different to the model I linked the instructions to earlier.
The manual button isn't a simple override, it puts the receiver into a mode that excludes the input from the receiver.
You would need to switch the receiver back to auto, for the stat to take over again.
Boosting the temperature on the stat would be far more convenient.

Screenshot_20241002-081928_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20241002-082013_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Raise it and it should send fire signal to receiver and boiler.
And if it doesn't, now might be a good time to set the boiler back to switched live mode (if it hasn't been done already)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back