Need ideas - Remotely control electric radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm looking at (remotely) controlling heating in a 2 bedroom flat with 5 electric radiators. Ideally not only turn them on-off remotely, but to also control the temperature separately in each zone (living, bedrooms).

Current setup: 5 separate manual on-off electric radiators: 2 radiators (1250W each) in the living, 1 in each bedroom (1000W and 750W), 1 in the hallway. The idea is replacing the existing radiators with smarter ones.

Any experience with the brands below? These are not known established brands. Other suggestions on how to achieve the above?

* Devola Wifi Heater 500W, 1000W, 1500W, 2000W
* Warme Wifi Heater 2kW £119

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Whilst it might be desirable to remote adjust temperature the on/off function alone might be considered simpler or cheaper by Wifi and/or GSM via a relay controlling a contactor sort of idea, if you have that kind of knowledge.
It`s more likely to be an option I would consider if I had the need to do something similar.

Why do you want to do this? Even with remote control you can usually control the settings locally too

WARNING 一 to reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock or injury to persons or property:·
Read all instructions before using this appliance and keep them for future reference.·
Use only the voltage specified on the rating label of the heater.·

Do not cover or restrict airflow to the inlet or exhaust grilles in any manner as the appliance mayoverheat and become a fire risk.

How will you be sure that airflow is not resisted if you cannot see the heater when you are switching it ON

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to make the control system "smart" rather than change the entire heaters, given the short life of "smart" stuff.

Thank you guys for the answers so far. A few points:
- "...via a relay controlling a contactor sort of idea" - A DIY solution is tempting but the fire insurance of the flat would definitely invalidated. Do not want to take the risk.
- The existing heaters (brand is Atlantic) work but the temperature control is almost broken - e.g one heater has a piece of paper stuck in the dial to keep it working
- Later on intending to rent or airbnb the flat - The brings the simplicity requirement - whoever rents should easily figure out how to set up the temperature. That also makes a DIY solution a tricky one.
- Also related to airbnb - remote control would help decreasing the energy bill - we could turn off the heating when guests leave. Electricity is very expensive these days.

I can see the idea of a radiator controlled in the same way as our immersion heater, but the iboost+ costs just shy of £300. So an electric heater using the same technology is likely going to cost £400 or more. Likely more as so few will be made.

In the same way as we switched storage heaters on/off, we could install a circuit for standard electric heaters using some internet powered relay. In fact, you could turn off the whole home.

However, before people arrive, the home needs cleaning, and after they leave also cleaning and inspecting, so having remote control will not really help.

having remote control will not really help
The idea described by the OP works for me - not only does the customer need to remember to turn the heating off, so does the person doing the cleaning/inspection. If he's paying to replace the heaters anyway, then might as well make them remotely controlled.

I can turn my heating on/off remotely, I use Nest Gen 3, but the contact rating is not high enough to work directly, so would need a relay of some type, and some wiring.

It can be clearly done, we have done it for years, the DNO have switched storage heaters on/off since the 80s, so the technology is there. But the problem is cost, my home all heating from a single boiler, so turn off boiler and all is turned off, I also have electronic TRV heads, 4 of which can be controlled anywhere in the world with internet.

But electric heating is not central, so the debate is how? Wifi connected sockets would work, and some can be interconnected with IFTTT so could link to wall thermostats, but as I have found with a water central heating system, getting devices to talk to each other is not easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back