Neighbours extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
Please could you give us some advice. We live in a small bungalow and our neighbours have built right up to our fence. The fence is wood with concrete slats and posts. The brickwork is in places not staggered, bellows slightly and not level. Building control have told them to ask our permission for the fence to be removed and the brickwork to be pointed. Apart from the wall seeming to be unsafe, we believe they should not have built right up to the concrete slats, as if we wish remove them it may destabilise the already unstable wall. I have attached some pictures. Thank you so much in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's our fence. So annoyed that they've come right up to the fence.

I bet they are equally annoyed that your fence comes right up to their wall.

Sponsored Links
Building up to the fence is permitted.

The issue is, do you want to look at crap brickwork or better brickwork?

Thanks for your replies everyone. We complained that the gutters would overhang our property so they changed the roof plans. We took some fence up yesterday and the wall looks awful. At the base of the brickwork there is a void of about one foot deep along the footings. Sorry I've just worked out how to attach a picture.

Attachments

• 172338035813656822673758247132.jpg
    172338035813656822673758247132.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 74
So that's obviously a mess but this is what happens when they're not given access. Why are you so against them having access, as mentioned they've seemingly done nothing wrong apart from ruffling your feathers? Why would replacing your fence in the future destabilise the wall?

I didn't refuse them access. There was a joint fence there and they did not ask to remove the fence. They built right up to the fence. If they had approached us we could have had a party wall agreement. I'm not sure what country you're posting from but in the UK he has not built as per building plans and this is not how it goes.

It nay destabilise the wall because the fence posts are in a concrete ball which if dug up MAY destabilise THEiIR extension.

If you digging out some fence posts destabilises their wall they have big problems, you're on a hiding to nothing there. People build stuff different from plans and without the PWA all time.

Thanks a party wall agreement would have saved us both money if and when we build an extension. They have had different builders over a 5 month period., it's a 6 x 3 metre extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back