Neighbours new dormer on shared wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbours have told us they will build a loft conversion and the builder wants to remove the shared chimney stack and if we object. As we will be removing the chimney breasts some time later we didn't object.
They have now started building the loft and I'm concerned about how close it is to the ridge line. The cheek without the tiles and finished roof is touching the side of the ridge tiles. They have now removed the entire ridge tiles and some tiles on my side. This makes me think they will be building the rafters, tiles and roof on the boundary line.
I've raised this with the builder and he has assured me that it will not cross their boundary ( I presume it refers to half of the ridge).
I'm not thinking to do a similar conversion yet but may do in the future. My main concern is whether this is encroachment or not? I don't want to disadvantage my property or it's sellability in the future.

I asked the builder how I would tile the side of my dormer in the future and he said that it's done via hung tile method ( I don't know what this).also I feel he is just lying.

Attachments

• 20240828_192443.jpg
    20240828_192443.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20240830_181211.jpg
    20240830_181211.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have very good relations with the neighbours and don't want to stop their work if not detrimental to me.
As long as they don't encroach and it doesn't in any way disadvantage my property.
Based on what I've described will this be encroaching if they building on their side of the party wall?

The ridge has got nothing to do with the property boundary.

What matters is where the side dormer cheek is located, and if it's built on the line of the party wall then a party wall agreement should be in place. And as part of that agreement, it would be determined how this wall is built to allow you to build a similar wall in the future.

As it is now, you won't be able to tile any dormer wall you plan to build against the neighbour's wall.

If the line of the rainwater downpipe and change in pebbledash render is indicative of the centre of the party wall it looks like the dormer cheek, even with tile hanging will be well inside the neighbour's own boundary so it doesn't look like there will be any encroachment. Ultimately you will not know unless you take measurements of the dormer in relation to the party wall.
If you are considering adding your own rear dormer it would have made more sense to build up off the party wall so both you and the neighbour could have shared the same wall. It will be quite tricky to butt a dormer right up against the neighbours, doable but awkward.
@woody If you look at photo 1 it looks like there was a line of ridge tiles running down the rear roof slope, probably to cover a change in roof tiles? I think that may be the confusing reference to the ridge tiles in OP's original post?

So this is how it looks at the moment. I thought they would replace the tiles they took off but apparently it's broken and they don't do the same one at local merchants. He said these are the closest reclaimed tiles he could find but I have looked and you can get the exact same as mine. He would need to drive about 30 minutes to source them. Would I be unreasonable to expect him to place the same ones back?

Attachments

• 20240907_190052.jpg
    20240907_190052.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 75
The tiles will weather with time and look same as the others.
They need to do something about your ridge tiles, they don't seem to be fixed.
Personally I would prefer my neighbour to build on the boundary line with an agreement that a future dormer conversion would attach to theirs so to make it look like one whole structure and avoid rubbish collecting in the gap between dormers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back