New Boiler Installation - Messy Job - Almost a disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I purchased a Worcester Greenstar 4000 30kW for £2500 inc installation, filter and wireless controller. Very efficient and professional sales and support team.

The engineer arrived sharp at 8am dismantled the boiler with help of his student. as the work were carrying on, I started to notice his lack of attention to details.

When it came to soldering, I realised he's not fit for the job. out of 7,8 pipes he soldered 4 pipes had leak! and here is the worst part:

He struggled to seal the gas pipe and was working on tightening it to the boiler was gas was ON! I told him i think gas is on...

I mentioned is there any reason you are not using tape to seal it? he said he never uses tape on gas pipe. MAybe he was right.

Once he finished with the pipework he started connecting the electricity. It took him 5 hours inc 2 hours of complete darkness since he tripped the MCB to finish the job. He left at 1AM in the morning.....

He wanted to bridge the wireless connector receiver and main to one plug.. He was on call with his friend asking about wiring diagram...

I asked boiler central to send someone else to come and check the boiler and wiring.

Can someone comment on the position of the boiler? it's not sitting straight.

Comments are welcomed

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.57 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.57 (1).jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 139
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.57.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 130
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.58 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.58 (1).jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 135
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.58.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 130
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.59.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 10.57.59.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
Oh dear, that's not the best is it. Soldering is a bit of a mess but that in itself doesn't denote a bad install. I can only presume the boiler isn't sitting flat on the wall due to the pipework not being sized properly and it's holding it off the wall.

Is that PTFE tape on the gas connection nut/threads?
He wanted to bridge the wireless connector receiver and main to one plug
Is the boiler wired into a plug and just plugged into a normal wall socket? Does it not have its own Fused Connection Unit?

I'd wait to see what the company says as far as the install's concerned and go from there. Has the documentation (benchmark etc) all been completed and signed off?

He has used end feed soder fittings which are cheap but need expertise. I used the ones with a ring of solder built in but then I am only DIY.
Maybe he didn't use flux ? Or clean the fittings and pipe with wire wool?

Maybe he didn't use flux ? Or clean the fittings and pipe with wire wool?
Yeah, he did, too much though and then didn't wipe it before heating, that then just draws the solder everywhere. Doesn't seem to be very experienced with using end feeds vertically, or he's just plain lazy. The trick with vertical end feeds is most of the solder is fed in at the top with the smallest of wipes at the bottom, just to complete the joint. heat needs to be right too.

He's also used too much solder and it ends up with snots everywhere. He did clean the joints after though, which is always a plus ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back