New Ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i have big problems!...i have a new ceiling light for the kitchen, the old one i took down, i have 3 Red wires, 1 Black and one Green/Yellow wire which splits in to 2 copper wire coming from 2 grey cables from ceiling.
Now my new Ikea lamp has only 2 wires, one blue one brown, where the hell do i connect them to..i have been trying for 2 days solid with different combinations..ie i have had the light on constant with the switch not switching off!..... :evil: :?: .....grrrrr!!!!..help!!!

Sponsored Links
At least you have a twin red switch wire by the sounds of it. Is there enough room in the new fitting to house all the wires? It sounds like you need another piece of terminal block. Connect the red wire from the (red/black) cable to one of the reds in the (red/red) cable using the terminal block. Connect the other red to the lamp live. Black to lamp neutral and earths to the earth terminal if required. If the earths are not required i.e. a double insulated fitting, connect them together in another piece of terminal block.
All of the terminal blocks should be housed in an enclosure and not exposed to heat from the lamp.

You have 2 grey sheathed cables?

One cable with a red and a black, the other cable with two reds?

If so then put the red which shares the same cable as the black together with one of the reds from the twin red cable into a separate connector block. This is your permanent live and doesn't connect to the fitting itself but make the connection within the fitting. Do the same with the two earth cables if there's no earth terminal and the fitting is class 2. Look for a small square inside a larger square, this is the symbol for class 2.

Now you should be left with one red and one black cable - terminate these into your new fitting:

red - brown
black -blue

Thanks guys,Gary,Sparky you both where spot on..works fine!
I feel so dumb lol! :LOL:

Quick replys as well, i owe yous a pint!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back