New combi being fitted. Airing cupboard needs some heat. Couple of options available.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have done a search and haven't found the answer to my query so here goes ....

New Ideal Vogue 32kw being fitted in a couple of weeks to replace 28 year old Ideal Classic. I've dithered and dallied long enough and exchanged posts on here which have been helpful and finally decided to go for it (and, yes, I very much hope that pressurising the 10mm microbore copper system doesn't cause a leak). The boiler's going in an attached garage with short runs to connect the hot and heating supplies - the pressure and flow is good and is taken directly after the incoming 25mm MDPE enters the house (via its own 22mm feed straighrt to the boiler). There's a pressure reducing valve (which will probably be set to 3.5 bar) and full bore lever type isolating valve fitted to the boiler's own 22mm feed.

The old cylinder being removed is in an 'airing cupbard' 750mm x 700mm and is only used to dry towels used for daily showering, no other drying takes place in there but I would like to continue that routine. At present the towels are dried very well courtesy of the heat lost from the (insulated) cylinder.

In readiness I bought a 400 wide x 500 high single rad and TRV (obviously only any good in winter when heating is on) and was about to buy a Dimplex 12 inch thermostatic tubular heater (40 watts) for summer use from Toolstation but I now realise I might be making hard work of this and occupying valuable proposed wall space in there by having both. We were hoping to make use of the space in there to store stuff and there's not a huge amount of wall space.

Is my plan for heating the airing cupbard a good idea or is there a better solution to dry two wet towels every day? I have no idea how much heat is needed to dry them. I would think the radiator is more than OK when it's on in winter ... but in summer is the 40 watt, 12 inch tubular heater likely to dry the towels? ....... Or is the tubular heater enough all year round without the radiator and is 40 watts so insignificant as not to worry about?

And finally, instead of taking up wall space with the radiator would a loop of 22mm copper pipe be enough to provide heat? I guess it could have, say three un-insulated horizontal lengths of approx 650mm or 700mm with the 15mm drops disappearing under the floor boards. Never done it myself so unsure if rad valves would need to be configured into the arrangement and, more importantly, how much heat is given off by say, just over two metres of un-insulated 22mm pipe?

Ta.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Instead of using a standard radiator you could get a towel radiator with an electric element in it for use in summer. Something like this:-

Thank you.

Although the illustration you show is for the element that goes within a towel radiator not the radiator itself.

It says it's 400 watts.... nearly half a kilowatt. That's quite a lot isn't it? The tubular heater I referenced is only 40 watts.

There are lost of different sized towel radiators to choose from.
That was just an example for you to look at.
They do them in 150 and 250 watt versions too.
It would not be heating at that power all the time as they have a thermostat built into them, so would cut off once up to temperature.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back