new downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//media.diynot.com/208000_207750_65827_63279609_thumb.jpg

Hi
to be honest i've done some DIY but never plumbing outside.
The idea is to put new toilet and basin downstairs where there use to be coal storage room.
There use to be toilet in different corner of the house. So the plan is to connect new line to existing one just before manhole. Total length of new line will be about 10 metres. The gradient hopefully 5cm in every meter.
From the picture you may see that there will be two 90 degrees bends.
So first question is: is that OK so far?
Second: Do I need stack pipe? (Existing one is on another wall)
3rd: Do I have to involve Building Inspector?

Thank you for being patient

Sponsored Links
From the picture you may see that there will be two 90 degrees bends. So first question is: is that OK so far?
Unless you intend to have access chambers at each of those bends, then no, since how do you expect to remove blockages when they occur?

Second: Do I need stack pipe? (Existing one is on another wall)
No, but some other form of ventilation is likely.

3rd: Do I have to involve Building Inspector?
Yes - and they need to be involved before you do anything else.

Bends are a big NO! All aspects of the drain run (and especially a foul drain) must be accessible for clearing blockages, I would expect to be required to fit access chambers on each change of direction of the drain. If not particularly deep then shallow access chambers would normally suffice.

May get away without ventilation, Building regs allow a ground floor WC to be directly connected to the drain provided the distance from the crown of the WC trap to the bottom of the drain is less than 1.3m.

Works would need to be inspected by Building Control and a certificate issued, otherwise should you wish to sell the property and no certificate is available you may have to obtain one retrospectively, and Building Control could insist things are altered to suit the regs in force at that time before issuing a certificate. (Could be expensive!) As said, best to speak to them now and get the spec they wish you to work to, otherwise may find yourself digging it all up and starting again...... :eek:

Looking at diagram, may well be easier to run internally taking shortest route, either above or under floor, and just fit the one chamber outside where the pipe would bend to meet the existing clay drain.

Sponsored Links
~do you mean vertically 1.3 metre?
~you probably right about going straight as easiest way but that means going through kitchen and tiles (about 8 metres). and to be honest i chose outside as less destructive way.

Vertically 1.3m yes. If outside run is easier, stick with it, but be prepared to fit chambers on changes of direction.

can i put this new line very close to the wall (whole line on the right on drawing)?
in that case there will be one access chamber on 90 degrees bend and rodding point on entry to the building. Is that make sense?

Yes, that's ok, as long as the drain isn't deeper than the house foundations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back