New EPDM flat roof water pooling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new install of EPDM. see attached water pooling covering approx 25% of roof after last night's rain.
Builder says down to existing structure but wont be a problem.
I had specified he use firestone and he agreed but he has refused to show me the warranty so I think it's another manufacturer. no doubt cheaper. he Says his warranty will cover any problems. he's a mate of my neighbour so I'm wary it's going to cause an issue.
he is half way through the work as doing another flat roof which he has constructed from scratch so that should be OK. he is also ripping out and fitting kitchen. it's all costing circa 20k.
Do you think it should be redone/cause me issues? I can handle cleaning it periodically to stop algea etc.

Attachments

• 20240702_072034.jpg
    20240702_072034.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Looks like the old chestnut simply not enough fall. Did he replace the deck/firrings? It'll be OK but will pee you off forever. If you specifically asked for Firestone and that's what he agreed to fit then that's what should be fitted. Tricky.

Have you tried asking someone else to look at it? It seems a bit risky to just let the pooling continue because of long term issues. I once had a similar problem with water pooling. Maybe they can help you out.

Looks like the old chestnut simply not enough fall. Did he replace the deck/firrings? It'll be OK but will pee you off forever. If you specifically asked for Firestone and that's what he agreed to fit then that's what should be fitted. Tricky.
your right about peeing me off forever. I don't know exactly but he said if he had known he would have installed firrings, to which I said surely he could have foreseen it with a spirit level. he's like I just replaced what you had. there was no pooling before but I reckon it was draining through render as it's cracked (he's going to replace that).

Sponsored Links
Have you tried asking someone else to look at it? It seems a bit risky to just let the pooling continue because of long term issues. I once had a similar problem with water pooling. Maybe they can help you out.
I was thinking of paying for a survey at the end before I pay the final payment. currently half paid.

Water hanging around on a flat roof, will not be an issue. Whether his workmanship is up to snuff, is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back