New extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Toying with the idea of a single story extension..

From what I can remember you can get a pretty fair ball park figure by multiplying the cubic square feet by about a hundred quid.

What does this actually include?...groundwork, plumbing, electrics walls, roof, floor?....or are windows included....woodwork?

The mrs seems to think tis a matter of buying some bricks and a few bit of wood for the roof and job done :rolleyes:

Ive worked out a 14x16x8 to top up to at least 20k..thats without the trimmings.

So are these figures loosly based on the basic shell?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can do it yourself for the cost of the materials. It'll cost you a couple of grand.

Yes you can use m2 rates for estimating, and these will include everything including groundwork, drainage, structure and internal fit, but not kitchen and sanitary appliances.

But they are very rough estimates and a small change in the spec can affect them greatly

joe-90 said:
You can do it yourself for the cost of the materials. It'll cost you a couple of grand.

I want it to stay up Joe...im clueless about building, ive always said if you want brick laid get a brick layer..not a painter and decorator..

Yes you can use m2 rates for estimating, and these will include everything including groundwork, drainage, structure and internal fit, but not kitchen and sanitary appliances.

So the 100 or so-ish quid rate is based on m2 and not square feet?

Interesting you mention kitchen an sanitary...the extension was for a larger kitchen, bog and shower room.

Sponsored Links
What are square feet? Is that something from 'the olden days' ? lol

There are about 11 of your £100's to the m2 ;)

You will find as I did the building regs requirements in insulation on roofs walls and floors will add on a pretty penny.
Not to mention requirements to use part p sparkys if you can get hold of one if it is a kitchen/ bathroom extension.
My local building control are extremely effecient they demanded Fensa installation certs for the patio doors and window I purchased from Selco and fitted myself.
Apparently my hammering in of frame fixings was not up to spec of a Fensa qualified person! must be in the wrist action lol
Pete

Many ways the price up, a cubed metre rate would be anywhere between £450 to £650

A square metre rate would be between £1,000.00 to £1,500.00 (Footprint)

Both just for shell price, i.e. final fix carps, sparks ect.

Dependant on area/locality

joe-90 said:

a couple of grand is way off the mark. the materials alone will cost in exess of £6000. yes, if you did most of the work yourself you may save some money, but imagine how long it would take.

i built a two storey extension at home, using a fellow builder to help me. we got the shell and roof done pretty quick but it still cost me over £20,000.

Build it yourself for the price of materials. No need to get someone else in.

£20k will get you the whole thing built without you lifting a finger. Obviously I'm talking a shell not a fitted kitchen.

joe-90 said:
Build it yourself for the price of materials. No need to get someone else in.

£20k will get you the whole thing built without you lifting a finger. Obviously I'm talking a shell not a fitted kitchen.

Im not a builder...plus the kitchen and dining rooms being one of the main rooms in the house id want the grief over with as quick as possible

joe-90 said:

joe i would like to see your price break down of the materials costing a couple of grand (two), for an extension sized at 4.3m x4.9m (14x16x8')

this is gonna be hilarious.

You need to know where to shop. Bricks are cheap and so is concrete. Timber can be sourced cheap too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back