New fixture to old wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to install a light fixture, but having bought the light and taken looked at the existing fixture it looks like it may not be a simple job! It looks like my existing lights are looped in at the ceiling, but the ‘fitting’ (junction box?) on the new light only has space for three wires.

I’ve attached some photos of the existing light and the new one. Is anyone able to point me in the direction of something I need to buy / do to get the new light to work safely? House was built in 1998 and originals would have been installed then.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ed7407eb-cb28-4610-a636-0ce4b5cb9bc9.jpeg
    ed7407eb-cb28-4610-a636-0ce4b5cb9bc9.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3108.jpeg
    IMG_3108.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
This question comes up nearly every day.
Your new light needs three connections:
Switched live
Neutral
Earth.

You are going to need to remove the ceiling rose (connection plate) from the ceiling and carefully get all those connections inside your new lamp base.

At the one end of the ceiling rose you have a single black wire with a red sleeve (dont loose it!) This is the switched live and connects to one of the two silver wires (one should be marked "live").

At the other end of the rose there are two black wires. these are the neutral conncetions. These connect to the other silver wire. It should be marked "neutral".

The two earth wires connect to the earth on teh new fitting.
This should leave you with three red wires in the middle of the rose. These are the permanent lives. These need to be connected together in a SEPARATE bit of terminal block. They do not connect to the light.

That should do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back