new garage with basement

MrF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a large double garage with basement built 5m from my house with sockets, lighting and a small workshop in the garage and a home theatre in the basement. I would just like to know what i should be expecting the electrician to fit to provide a safe supply from the house. I have spare ways in my CU which is a split load one so i guess he will take power from there, what happens next with earthing etc. i don't know. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a fair sized plan.

I would be looking for a 63amp submain direct from the supply via a sw fuse. 16mm for that run should be fine, but 25mm would be better.

Earthing depends on the supply arangement you have already. It is not recommended to extend a PME supply beyond the equipotential bonding of the house.

thanks for the quick response Lectrician.

A submain! is that a sparky job or the supply co.

my supply arrangement is two wires from post in the road and a spike outside the front door. I have no idea what PME is. Sounds like something my wife gets.

A submain would be run by an electrician from your intake position.

You have a rod outside your door? Do you have a main RCD 'trip switch' that kills the whole house when it trips?

The cable from the pole, where it terminates in your house, is there an earth wire visably connected to it??

Sponsored Links
Sparky job - it's your side of the meter, so your responsibility. Unless you actually want a separate metered supply out there, which you probably wouldn't after you'd got a quote from the DNO to put one in for you...

Get your guy involved early enough for him to spec the trench that you will then get the builders to dig - you don't want to pay sparky wages for a labourer's job.

Depending on project requirements, site layout, weather, soil conditions etc you might need the trench dug, cable laid in, and then the trench filled some time before everything else is ready for him to come back and wire up the garage and connect it up.

An idea - even if you don't connect them, have you thought about at least laying in water and drainage to the garage so that in the future you, or anybody, could turn it into a granny flat? Quite possibly the cost of doing it at the same time would be minimal compared to the cost of adding it in later - could be a selling point.

The supply layout goes something like this:

two wires from pole outside into the house, into a black connector block type thing, then into the meter, then into the CU with the main switch on the right, some mcb's then an RCD and some more mcb's. The earth comes from a rod outside into a connector block near the CU, then into the CU itself and splits off from the block to other places.

I also like the idea of running water and drains etc.

Can you post a photo of your supply intake - some things dont add up!

sorry no digital camera. I am getting worried now. Is there something i should be expecting the spark to tell me when he comes round to look at the job?

Lectrician said:
??
Sounds exactly what a TT supply would look like.

So the only problem is that there doesn't seem to be an RCD covering the entire installation....

Thanks for all the information so far gents.

At least now i will have some idea what the electrician will be talking about. I will get him to check if i need an extra RCD as well.

Would this RCD cover the whole system inc. the new garage or would i have a new split load CU in the garage from the submain with its own RCD and earth rod?

with TT I gather the normal was is to have a main 100ma time delayed rcd, and a 30ma none delayed one covering just the sockets (must cover all sockets for tt) and shower, etc, etc, in a split load consumer unit, so instead of rcd + switch, as in other supply arrangemnets, it has two rcds, one covering all, the other covering some.

I guess if the electricain splits the supply before the supply with service conector blocks as lectrician suggests, then you will end up with this arrangement in the house, and the same thing repeated in the garage, so if your garage trips out, it doen't affect the house and vice versa

ban-all-sheds said:
Lectrician said:
??
Sounds exactly what a TT supply would look like.

So the only problem is that there doesn't seem to be an RCD covering the entire installation....

Thats exactly what I meant. Very dangerous situation to be in.

I asked for a photo, as many people confuse RCD's and Main Isolators.

Very dangerous?

Funny how the mortuaries weren't backed up prior to the introduction of RCDs....

Yea, they had ELCB's then.

For god sake.

If you have a rod in the ground with a high resistance (as you would expect 99% of the time), a fault from L to E, depending on severity, would bring the earth to mains potential, that including the water pipes, gas pipes, oil TANK, fridge, freezer, cooker, toaster etc etc.

I have seen this before with RCD's that have gone squit.

It sounds as if he doesn't even have an RCD, let alone one gone squit!

All it takes is for a heating element to fail, or a nail to go in the wrong place.........disaster........death.

It's simple - TT and RCD go together like fish and chips.

I have known of a plumber DIE fitting a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back