New Halogen downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have installed 9 x 50W downlights in a new bedroom.

After a day or so a single bulb blew, replaced it and another blew, so replaced that one......and so on!! :oops:

Have so far replaced three bulbs in just over a week - anyone have any ideas why they are blowing?

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

Sponsored Links
i take it they are low voltage?

did you get a set of 9 or was irt something you made up?

it could either be cheap lamps or poor qaulity transformer

pgerman said:

After a day or so a single bulb blew, replaced it and another blew, so replaced that one......and so on!! :oops:

Have so far replaced three bulbs in just over a week - anyone have any ideas why they are blowing?

Paul

They arn't covered with insulation from the loft are they, and they also need adiquate ventalation

AR

breezer said:
i take it they are low voltage?

did you get a set of 9 or was irt something you made up?

it could either be cheap lamps or poor qaulity transformer

nope - not low voltage.

I brought 3 x boxes of 3, so something I made up.

Sponsored Links
supersparks said:
pgerman said:

Paul

They arn't covered with insulation from the loft are they, and they also need adiquate ventalation

AR

no - the loft is still uncovered on the side of the bedroom so there is plenty of ventilation.

Cheers

Paul

must either be as supersparks said ( i hadn't thought of that) or cheap lamps.

You could also try changing the switch to a dimmer (but obviously you would need a switch that can handle 450 watts minimum)

i just found this one for you

breezer said:
must either be as supersparks said ( i hadn't thought of that) or cheap lamps.

You could also try changing the switch to a dimmer (but obviously you would need a switch that can handle 450 watts minimum)

i just found this one for you

Thanks both - I think I may have found the problem!!

Dimmer already installed - but only supports upto 400W Max. Handy bits of paper those instructions.

Will be going down the shop tomrrow then!! :eek:

Paul

i would try an electrical wholesaler as oppsosed to a "shop" most only stock 250-300W, tlc will supply mail order

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back