new light switch and the hunt for an earth!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little bit of help please.
I am replacing an old plastic single light switch with a new metal one. (I know it needs earthing). My current switch is wired in the folowing way.
3 grey wire with a red wire in each. two reds go to the bottom terminal and one to the top. I think I am ok with this, correct me if I am wrong but this is a two way switch??? anyway my new switch seems to be able to accomodate this existing set up ok.... Now, further back in the grey wire a bare wire comes from each of them and are twisted together and un connetced. Is this the earth or neutral? Where is the earth and if it is these bare wires do I connect all three? Or do I need something else, or do I stick with my old switches and put up with my wifes moaning.
I am fairly competant with this sort of thing in general so any help would be good.... THanks :D

Sponsored Links
are the two reds in the same terminal at the bottom?

if so it sounds like you have a lighting cuircuit wired with red and earth and single double insulated black (this layout is uncommon but there isn't anything wrong with it)

the two reds in the bottom terminal are the wires that make up your lighting cuircuit

the red in the top terminal is the live to the light

the neutrals are run seperately to the light fittings (probablly with single core double insulated black)

the bare wires in with the reds are your earths. They should all be covered with earth sleeving and taken to the earth terminal on your switch

its good practice to also take an earth link to the backbox though if there is at least one fixed lug in the box the earthign through the plate screws is considered sufficiant

for plastic switches all the earths should all be taken to the earth terminal in the backbox again with earth sleeving.

if the earths won't reach then chock block or crimps may be used to extend them

before fitting any metal accessories to the cuircuit check the earth connections at every switch on the cuircuit

twisting is not an acceptable or safe way to join earth wires

THANKS!!!
from I can see, there isn't any earth going to the back box!?! I think my best bet is to get someone to have a look. Thanks anyway for answering quickly.. You don't live near Leeds do you???

if the 'earths' are actually earths, then they wont have any insulation, so can easily be identified as earths. these will need put into the earth terminal of the switch, and its best to link it to the backbox. also, read plugs comments, mainy bout exactly where the reds go (in seperate terminals or 1) so we can say if it is 1 or 2 way switching

Sponsored Links
two reds go into 1 terminal, and one into the other. There isn't any other terminals in the old switch? If it helps any it is a 1970s Barratt house (stop laughing!!) :LOL:

if they go to the same terminal, then its not a 2 way switch. altho if your new switch is 2 way it can still be used. just use common and L1 (some work on L2 for 1 way switching. ull just have to connect it and if its upside down then use the other terminal). as for the 2 wires in 1 term, do you have 2 lights which switch on by the same swith? it could also be feed in and out, and the other red (single) could be the switched live to the light

the new switch has two terminals at th bottom, one marked '1 way' the other marked '2 way' so I guess I use the one way terminal. and no there is only one light... thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back