New lighting circuit with dimmer....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a bit of info on the following... :LOL:

We are currently renovating our flat and are taking the opportunity to change the lighting. I know what I want but am not sure if it is possible, so here goes:

I will have 5X50W spots, Can these be dimmed using 2 dimmer switches at different locations? (ie one either side of bed) and could I also have an on/off switch at the door to switch them off on the way out of the room?
The dimmers I will be using are http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND12P.html

Cheers! ;)

Sponsored Links
you can not do as you wish (not with those dimmers) you can not have two dimmer switches controlling the same lights unless you have master slave configuration. tlc do supply them. but they are pointless, as they are also infra red (i think) so you would only need one

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought you could achieve your aim using 1 master and 2 slave dimmers by varilight. same outlet TLC-Direct
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
you are right, but that is basically what i said perhaps he didn't read the bit that said you have master slave configuration. tlc do supply them.

I have another wee question, if I'm just being daft I apologise :oops:
I will have 5 X 50W spots, can I put lower wattage halogen lamps in them?

What is the size? If it's a standard size then the answer is yes. You cannot however put Extra Low Voltage halogen in them if that's what you mean.

english translation, so long as VOLTAGE / phsyical size is same YES

GU10's only come in one brightness - 50W

If they were 12V th, then you could plump for 35 or 20W. If tranny allowed

Thanks guys!
I'll try those ban-all-sheds, so, as long as they physically fit and are 240V they should be ok... I'll give it a go. :LOL:

:oops: Oh dear Ban, now it's my turn to enter the hall of shame!!

How long have these been around? I have only ever known the 50W version.

BTW if you want to fit a 75W version, you need to make sure that the fitting is rated equally (or higher) than the lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back