New oven with plug, but got wall socket hardwired cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had an old integrated single oven that was hardwired into the wall with fuse switch by the kitchen worktop. New oven arrived today with a standard plug in the cable.

I was thinking I should use the cable already coming from the wall socket and wire into the back of the new oven after removing the supplied attached standard plug cable. However, the pain is the wiring in the back of the new oven has crimps for connectors, where as the current old wall cable has loose wires.

So should I either go buy some crimps to add to the wires on the existing old wall cable to then connect into the back of the oven OR cut off the plug on the new oven plug cable and wire that into the wall socket instead? Is there is a difference in cable quality/safety from the old wall socket cable and the wall plug cable on the new oven?

Maybe there is an adapter to connect the two instead?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jas

Sponsored Links
ok thanks, so it is ok to use the plug cable attached to the new oven, remove the plug and wire it (the new cable) into the wall socket when I remove the old cable.

Sponsored Links
I see this all the time. Why dont people check first before buying the oven? Thats the first thing i did when replacing a friends oven...

I see this all the time. Why dont people check first before buying the oven? Thats the first thing i did when replacing a friends oven...
Sorry, "check first", check first what excactly? I`m slightly lost on the meaning of your comment, thanks.

Sorry, "check first", check first what excactly? I`m slightly lost on the meaning of your comment, thanks.

Check the fitting you have in place as opposed to the fitting on the oven you want to buy!

It's no big deal to either plug into a socket or connect to an FCU. It has got to be connected to something So as long as he/she knows he/she needs electric rather than gas it doesn't really matter, a supply can be installed. Personally I would buy an oven that had all the features I require and not how I was going to connect it.

It's no big deal to either plug into a socket or connect to an FCU. It has got to be connected to something So as long as he/she knows he/she needs electric rather than gas it doesn't really matter, a supply can be installed. Personally I would buy an oven that had all the features I require and not how I was going to connect it.

Woof!

ok thanks, so it is ok to use the plug cable attached to the new oven, remove the plug and wire it (the new cable) into the wall socket when I remove the old cable.

I would simply swap the wall outlet you have, for a 13amp socket. It will make life much easier in the future, should you need to pull the oven out, to work on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back