New Pergola idea - thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the planning phase with my pergola project and I've come across this design and I much prefer the look and fact that the roofing sheets aren't fixed needing a glazing bar.

I am considering building mine very similar with the 10mm polycarbonate twin wall sheets slotted straight into a 20mm routed channel into each rafter, then sealed with some flexible sealant which should allow for some movement.

My build would be free standing and not fixed to the property and pointing up the other way as i am placing it next to lean to extension and draining back into that gutter.

My questions are.....

Do you think it would leak?

How do you think the exposed but treated 6x2 rafters would hold up to the elements in the UK? (also planning on painting it as per the pictures)

What sealant would you use on the timber channel to the sheets?

Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• per 1.JPG
    per 1.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 18
  • per 2.jpg
    per 2.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 15
  • per 3.jpg
    per 3.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 16
  • per 4.JPG
    per 4.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 16
  • per 5.JPG
    per 5.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Homemade glazing seldom works, plenty have tried and failed. 10mm is very thin. The rafters will be ok but anything built in timber and exposed to the elements will have a limited lifespan.

Treated timber is fine.
Initially give it 3 coats of Sadolin classic (colour of your choice), then every 5 years or so give it a coat.
I've had mine 25 years and the wood is still solid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back