New plastered wall leaking?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

This is a new plastered wall done in our place.

The wall with the white filler on it is former external wall (granite) and the joining wall is plasterboard onto studs.

It was plastered a week ago, and has still not dried out, and have since seen this weird leak coming through.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1099.png
    IMG_1099.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1098.png
    IMG_1098.png
    993.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1097.png
    IMG_1097.png
    873 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
First thing to do is open window and put a summer fan in the room. Get the air moving so it dries out. Should only take a 3 days max this time of the year.
You really need the dry air to get in and the moist air to get out.
I think maybe the damp cold surface is drying out in the day and the humidity is building up in the room, then the humidity in the air is settling back on the wall when temperature drops at night. Condensation....
Get and open up. Get fresh air in. Get the air moving.
You don't need heat!

We will know what we are dealing with in a few days. Lets us know what happens

OP,
One glance at the skimming, & detailing, shows it to be a poor job - very poor work.
The LH stud wall could be prepped & take another skim - but the RH wall would need destructive interior investigation, & an examination of the outside of the wall.
There's also a damp patch on the ceiling.
You need at least a heads-up from a qualified plasterer on site.

well the granite wall is non porous so it will take longer to dry out anyway

Sponsored Links
Hi Nige, sorry I dont understand what you mean, I'm a plastering layman...

btw this was done by a hired tradesman and not by me.

Just pointing out to the forum that the wall is inside now - no outside to look at ;) what you describe as a leak could be just slow drying , as others have said. You could draw round the shape with a pencil, and the damp should recede . Maybe even get a de humidifier going in there. The once outside wall, does it go up through thr ceiling to the roofspace ? there you might find clues. Is there a damp patch on the ceiling - can't see ceiling in the pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back