New Porch - planning and building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering building a small, enclosed porch and am working through the planning considerations. The first issue is the size. We currently have a front door which is recessed into the house front wall by about 600mm. This recess has a sliding door as a later addition which we will remove if we build a porch. I see the permitted development restrictions limit the size to 3m2 measured externally. How would this work in our case? Would we need to include the recess in the calcs or just the new "sticking out" bit? Secondly the location. Panning portal says "no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway". It will be within 2m of our boundary with the next door neighbour but not the boundary that fronts the highway so I think that means we are OK but can anyone clarify?

Plan is for a dwarf brick wall and glazing above all around and probably tiled, but maybe flat, roof. We'll be keeping the original front door. Are there any building regs considerations? Does the glazing need to conform to any thermal regs, will it need sign off?

It will go over the services coming into the house (gas, water, electric). Other than being very careful when digging do I need to do anything special here. I have previously built a raft and dug strip footings so happy with either solution.

Porch Location

porchRough.jpg

Current front door
1719829235050.jpg

Will probably build something like this
cream_entrance_porch.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
3m2 additional ground area.

No building regulations will apply, other than the requirement for safety glazing in any critical location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back