New Roof = Major Humidity/Damp in House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at an absolute loss and so are my roofers and even a family member who, while doesn't live in the UK, builds houses (properly) for a living in a far harsher climate...

I had a new roof put on and it's caused chaos with humidity in the living space. Got rid of bitumen and replaced with breathable membrane, added a new dry ridge, dry verge etc. but kept the same cement tiles as was nothing wrong with them and only needed a few replaced.

As a result had major humidity issues. As per family member, found that I had solid soffits only. Had 11 vents put in for a 42 sq meter loft. Still issues. Did some more digging and found dry ridge wasn't open so was opened. Still issues. As per family member, found that current insulation (which is inadequate and needs replacing and a full redo - missing insulation in some spots as well which I'm not happy about and I'm sure isn't helping) is blocking some of the vents so pulled back in thr absence of any vent trays for now. I've still got issues though.

Roofer wants to put on over fascia vents so I've said yes. Nobody back home is familiar with these so have been hesitant. If this fails, what else can I do? I'm running a dehumidifier 24/7 as if I don't, then the humidity builds and I have damp clothes, sofa, bedding, etc. The house is clearly struggling with its exhale. It is not liveable. I don't have any trickle vents in the house and the only problem I had previously was condensation on the windows when it gets colder and fairly quickly heat loss (hence loft insulation redo was on the list to get sorted this year).

Thoughts? I'm at a loss and so is everyone I know. Roofer said they've had the odd issue but nothing like this and are trying to make it right.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back