new to all this...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..

Im wanting to become a mainly domestic electrician. Can anyone tell me a few thing's, or a web site that can help.

Im wanting to know how electric work's, i've read its the flow of electrons in one direction but what gets me stuck is how come you cant get a shock of the neutral (black/blue) cable???

If the electric runs to earth you don't get a shock etc ?

This is all new to me so plz don't take the p, we all start some where.

thanks

Sponsored Links
if you want to become an electrician i would suggest you become an apprentice, try your local cpmpanies, its not easy, but it is worth it. Its pointless us answering your "how does this do...." questions, becuse there are so many you will ask, which is what you go to college for.

I shouldnt, but you cant unless its potential is above that of earth, but if you mean from a black ble cable thats easy, the brown is connected to the supply, and you have the blue return in your aaarrrrrrr! hand

Somewhere there is a generator. This does the same thing as one in your car or bicycle. It creates a voltage between two wires coming out of it. One of these wires is connected to the neutral wire, and also to earth by a big spike driven into the ground. The other wire is connected to live and is insulated to make sure it does not touch either neutral or earth wires.

The neutral wire is supposed to be at the same voltage as earth, but it may not be. It may have a small voltage on it compared to earth, depending on how much curent is running and how far away it is from a good connection to earth. It is unlikely (but not impossible) for there to be enough voltage on N to give you a shock. But there could be.

The voltage on the live wire is enough to push electrons through anything connected to it, including through you. This current may be to neutral or to earth.

The current is supposed to flow back to neutral. Various devices are used to switch off the current if it flows to earth instead. The earth wire is provided so that you can connect any metalwork to it. If somehow the live wire touches this metalwotk, then current flows to earth and a fuse blows. This is much safer than if the metalwork just became live and no one noticed until they touched it.

The electrons actually flow one way, and then back again. It is AC (alternating current), The live actually goes positive, then negative, then positive, then........ with a frequency of 50Hz. 50 times per second. The neutral stays at 0 (nearly).

Source said:
Im wanting to become a mainly domestic electrician.
Then you will need C&G 2381 and 2391.

Im wanting to know how electric work's, i've read its the flow of electrons in one direction but what gets me stuck is how come you cant get a shock of the neutral (black/blue) cable???

If the electric runs to earth you don't get a shock etc ?
And if you need to learn stuff like that, you'd probably do well to do C&G 2360 (I think that's the one - somebody feel free to correct me if not)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys guys....

I will be looking into college very soon, anyhows i was wondering is the a "Dummies Guide" on this stuff?

I could do with it lol....

Cheers again everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back