New (to us) house. New plumbing challenges. Bath waste issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYnot.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

We moved into a new (to us) place a couple of months ago.

The bath was draining slowly. Thought it might have been clogged. Inserted some Buster unblocked (image below).

buster.jpg

That did improve the flow.

However, a couple of days later water started seeping out from under the bath panel (image below).

close up.jpg

The water seems to be leaking where the grey pipe coming out of the soil goes into the coupling.

Questions:

1. Is it possible that the Buster did something to the seal or the washers?

2. Is the white thing I'm looking at a "compression straight coupling (40mm)" and do I just need to buy and fit a new one? (If so I'm hoping that's easy to do)

In a related question:

3. the overall angle of flow from the bath plug to the soil pipe seems a little shallow (image below). Am I storing up problems for the future - or should a new coupling sort things?

distance.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bathing products are notorious for containing oils that will coagulate in waste pipes.

Especially if said pipes have insufficient fall to drain.

If you can, remove the compression coupling and the length of white pipe that goes to the bath waste, including trap.

Clean it out mechanically, outside by drawing a cloth through it (vacuum a string through and tie this to a cloth that fits snug in the pipe).

Also use hot water and maybe vinegar to help break down the oils.

Give trap and coupling a thorough clean too, including rubbers.

Put it back and test for leaks.
If it leaks from same coupling, replace the coupling.

Put some packers under the 45° fitting to stop it dropping at that point.

Clean out the boss fitting on the 4" pipe also, whilst you have everything out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back