New vaillant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any one out there work the Willensden area, think I have spelt it right :oops:

Got a possible customer who may buy Vaillant 418 etc from my shop who asked if I could fit as well, obviously I don't come down that far.

Anyone interested in me passing on their details e-mail me from profile with contact numbers and I will pass them on to him.

You will have to make your own mind up about him. Stranger to me

Sponsored Links
I would in general consider fitting it but I know from experience that those who buy boilers themselves want it fitted for less than £300 !

Many installers will not even think of fitting a customer supplied boiler !!!

Its almost certainly a tenanted property and my experience of landlords is that they like to avoid paying and try to hide their identity to make it more difficult to chase them.

Tony

I'm surprised you say that about many fitters refusing to install a customer supplied boiler. The internet makes buying parts a consumers area as well now. If an installer quoted me £150 (or whatever markup..if any is applied) more for a boiler than I can get as a retailer/online buyer I think it would be reasonable that he shouldn't baulk at me supplying it. Depends where installers see themselves making a decent profit from their labour or also trying to make a profit from openly available parts (if so why?).

Interested to know how the trade has adapted to the openness of supply of traditionally, in the past, "trade" only parts. Certainly not accusing the wonderful people here of "profiteering" or anything remotely like that...as if :)

Ref..potential landlord then I would agree...always cash on "delivery" in most cases...long story..

Sponsored Links
Topgazza, from your logic it follows that if a boiler you supply and the installer fits, and the boiler is faulty, you will not expect him to mend it. Or perhaps you would expect him to carry out "extra" work for nothing?

If I were doing the labouring only with parts supplied to me, any downtime would charged. My experience is the customer (supplier) wants to save money but in a lot of cases does not know what to get. Ends up the installer has to step in and sort things out.

Oh I quite agree with all you say. All that should happen is that any contract needs to be fully understood by both parties. If homeowner is to supply the boiler then the installer charges labour rates plus any bits and pieces. If...and its a big if...the boiler is faulty then of course its the homeowners job to get it replaced..and yes..he also pays for the time the installer is on site and the revisit. By the same token if the installer supplies it the time taken to repair/replace is down to him and not the homeowner. Once those T&Cs are laid out then there shouldn't be a problem..of course there will be because "some" people expect something for nothing. A good honest installer should be happy to lay it all out without any fear...sadly the few rotten eggs create a bigger stink then they should.

Most problems are because an awful lot of tradesmen are very inexperienced when it come to contracts and business matters. They teach them the technical stuff in apprenticeships but forget that most go on to run a business and need to be trained in that area as well. Quite often, in the bad cases, what is being quoted is vague, not detailed enough, poorly explained and any conseqences not clearly covered and are open to abuse and misunderstanding. Add to that a naive consumer and you have a recipe for disaster.

DP said:
Topgazza, from your logic it follows that if a boiler you supply and the installer fits, and the boiler is faulty, you will not expect him to mend it. Or perhaps you would expect him to carry out "extra" work for nothing?

If I were doing the labouring only with parts supplied to me, any downtime would charged. My experience is the customer (supplier) wants to save money but in a lot of cases does not know what to get. Ends up the installer has to step in and sort things out.

quite agree with these comments and would add, how would the customer know what flue, what pipe connections etc are needed to complete the install? very few i suspect
we no long fit only as previous experiences have proved the above on mpore than one occassion!

Fair enough but if "you" get several quotes and therefore get a recommended boiler..or two then its up to the installer to be competitive. If he's not then the homeowner surely has the right to source the recommended boiler himself ? I mean theres markup and theres MARKUP....

Generally in most quotes I am sure the whole package is fairly priced and that has to be taken into account. When I have quotes I consider the whole deal and not just cherry pick easy bits to source unless I think I'm being overcharged then I will negotiate. If the overall price is one I'm happy with then I couldn't be bothered to try and squeeze a bit more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back