NIC install - YIKES!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw quite possibly the worst install today. Looking in the meter cupboard, the first thing that hit my eye were the meter tails - copper glinting where it goes into meter terms. An EC14 on the incoming cable. Cables messily arranged and tightly bunched in ties where they leave the CU. CU's mounted on boards screwed directly to masonry on outside wall. These were the main observations.

The customer confirmed a local NIC firm did the work, albeit many years ago.

I'll try and get a piccy, but it may take time.

Can't believe what some people get away with. It's just pure laziness.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I saw quite possibly the worst install today. Looking in the meter cupboard, the first thing that hit my eye were the meter tails.
B*gg*r me, I'll bet that hurt!

would like to see the pic if you manage to get it.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
CU's mounted on boards screwed directly to masonry on outside wall.

This might sound like a silly question, but is this as in on the outside of the outside wall? :eek: Or as in screwed to the inside of the outside wall without battens separating it from the wall?

Dont like seeing CU's fitted to a board - direct on the wall is best.

Ban - yes, it DID hurt! My eyeball is still tingling......

Plug - EC14 Tenby clamp (on mains cable....... tut, tut!)

Andemz - I'll get a pic for def. if I go back, but not sure if I will be going there again....

Adam - on the inside of an external wall. Sorry, could have been better worded.

The only reason I queried the mounting was because in this area, the REC insist that if you put a CU on an external wall (inside, Adam!!!), you use insulating spacers so that the board will not get damp transmitted to it.

Leccy - what's wrong with boards? You can do a neat job by bringing all your cabling in from behind, and it is nice and flat. How many walls are dead flat? And if they're not, they can distort a polycarb box so that getting the lid on is a real pig!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back