Non Designated Heritage Asset - Planning Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm after some advice. I bought my property back in 2016, it's an old (circa 1804) single storey detached cottage/bungalow on a large plot. It's not listed, it’s not in a designated area (conservation area, national park, areas of outstanding natural beauty, world heritage site, the Norfolk or Suffolk broads) and there’s no ‘Article 4 direction’ in place. The council are however classing my property as a ‘non designated heritage asset’ (it’s a former toll house with a distinctive multi-faceted roof form). I want to extend it quite a bit, but the council don’t want me to touch it at all. I had a pre-app meeting last week and the planning officer basically said any plans that altered the original building would pretty much be refused. She did however suggest building a separate modern style building and linking it to the house with a corridor (I’m not too keen on that idea though).
I really don’t know what to do now, do I proceed with plans to extend the current house (without altering the current house too much) with the view that I’ll end up having to appeal? Do I go down the permitted development route?
I really don’t know what to do. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures below showing site plan and current elevations.
Site Plan 2.png
Google Maps.png

Existing Elevations.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back